Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

DTD and DSO combinations 9 years 2 weeks ago #26638

• rdarby
  • rdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
That was from the last auction, I think it is just a highlight of the last sale, to wet your appetite for the next sale. It says highlights from B70 which was the last one I am sure. He also lists other items that were in the last sale.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DTD and DSO combinations 9 years 2 weeks ago #26639

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Ryan,

You're right. I misread as a highlight for the next sale not from the last sale :(

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

DTD and DSO combinations 8 years 4 months ago #44407

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
DNW have this combination in their next auction.

Picture courtesy of DNW

DTD (Kapt. & Adj. P. L. de Jager)
DSO GV
ABO (Kapt. & Adj. P. L. de Jager)
1914-15 Star (Lt. Kol. P. J. de Jager, Piet Retief Kdo.)
BWM & Bilingual VM MID (Lt. Col. P. L. de Jager)
Russia, Order of St. Stanislaus, 3rd Class breast badge, with swords, by Eduard of St. Petersburg, gold and enamel, manufacturer’s marks on reverse, with ‘56’ gold mark and kokoshnik mark for St. Petersburg 1908-17 on eyelet, minor enamel damage and wear to the last

£5000-6000

Just 18 recipients of the D.T.D. went on to win a D.S.O. for the Great War.

DSO LG 22 August 1918. The original recommendation states: ‘For exceptional loyalty, thorough understanding of duty and applying the strictest discipline in his Commando. An officer of outstanding merit and capacity especially deserving of reward.’

Petrus Lafras de Jager, who was born in Harrismith District in Orange Free State in May 1870, served as a Captain & Adjutant on Botha’s staff in Natal and the Transvaal in the period September 1899 to June 1902; the award of his D.T.D. was approved in July 1921.

He subsequently served as a Major - afterwards Lieutenant-Colonel - in the Pier Retief Commando in German South-West Africa in the period October 1914 to August 1915, services that were recognised by the award of his D.S.O. and a brace of “mentions” (London Gazettes 30 June 1916 and 8 February 1917, refer), in addition to the 3rd Class of the Russian Order of St. Stanislaus (London Gazette 15 February 1917, refers).

De Jager was discharged as unfit for further duty in December 1916; sold with copied research.

The write-up does not explain the Russian award.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

DTD and DSO combinations 8 years 4 months ago #44438

• rdarby
  • rdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
I wonder where they get the figure 18 from? I thought it was 41 who had the DTD and DSO?

It is a lot of money for an undetailed Russian award, but something very nice to a South African.

I suspect this is part of a prominent South African collection that has been sold over the last few years?

Ryan

DTD and DSO combinations 8 years 3 months ago #44590

• Jon
  • Thank you received: 50
Has anyone got a roll of the DSO / DTD combinations they would like to share in the sprit of Christmas and furthering this knowledge of this great hobby we have and recognising those who were able to achieve this feat? DCM / DTD and MM / DTD and MC / DTD also welcome.

DTD and DSO combinations 8 years 3 months ago #44593

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Jon,

I will look for this list.

I cannot recall seeing any combinations of the DTD with the MC, DCM or MM. I would think the DCM and MM would be unlikely but the MC is more of a possibility.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.547 seconds