Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to war correspondents 3 years 6 months ago #71618

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi
I disposed of the Ireland QSA on the Spink Boer War Auction 1999: good to see it again!
Henk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to war correspondents 3 years 1 month ago #75081

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Someone is chancing their arm.

The QSA to S Salaman of Reuters has appeared on eBay. The asking price is £945. It sold at DNW last summer for a hammer price of £300.

Picture courtesy of eBay
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to war correspondents 3 years 1 month ago #75095

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Golly. It has seen better days. Also probably the most undesirable of Correspondent's medals with 28 awarded to Reuters

Medals to war correspondents 3 years 1 month ago #75099

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
It is sad to see a medal in such a condition. I did not repost the medal itself but this is how it appears on eBay.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to war correspondents 3 years 4 days ago #75516

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (2) South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 (Mr. H. F. Patterson. “Daily News.”)

Entitled to QSA (0).
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to war correspondents 3 years 3 days ago #75571

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Pictures courtesy of DNW

QSA (0) (Lord Cecil Manners, M.P.) officially engraved naming;
Coronation 1902, silver issue, unnamed as issued

Lord Cecil Reginald John Manners was born on 4 February 1868, the second son of John Manners, 7th Duke of Rutland, by his second marriage to Janetta, daughter of Thomas Hughan, and half brother of Henry Manners, 8th Duke of Rutland. He was educated at Charterhouse and Trinity Hall, Cambridge.

Lord Cecil went to South Africa in early 1900 to serve as press correspondent for the Morning Post, the paper that also employed Winston Churchill, and was with General Ian Hamilton’s force when he was captured following a fight with the Boers near Johannesburg on 30 May 1900. The following report of the action, written by General Rundle, appeared in the Morning Post on 1 June 1900:

‘The brunt of the fighting yesterday fell on Ian Hamilton’s column.
I had sent him, as already mentioned, to work round to the west of Johannesburg in support of French’s Cavalry, which was directed to go to the north near the road leading to Pretoria.
I have not heard from French yet but Hamilton, in a report which has just reached me, states that at about one o’clock in the afternoon he found his way blocked by the enemy strongly posted on some kopjes and ridges three miles south of the Rand.
They had two heavy guns, several field guns, and “pom-poms.”
Hamilton at once attacked.
The right was led by the Gordons, who after capturing one extremity of the ridge, wheeled round and worked along it until after dark, clearing it of the enemy, who fought most obstinately.
The City Imperial Volunteers led on the other flank and would not be denied.
But the chief share of the action, as in the casualties, fell to the Gordons, whose gallant advance excited the admiration of all.’

Having been reported as missing on 30 May, Lord Cecil arrived as a prisoner at Pretoria on 1 June and was immediately liberated. Returning to England shortly afterwards, he succeeded his brother as Member of Parliament for Melton in September 1900, holding the seat until 1906. He served as assistant private secretary to the Secretary of State for India and was appointed Deputy Lieutenant for Derbyshire in 1902.

Lord Cecil Manners died in an accident at Crowborough train station in 1945, aged 77.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.720 seconds