Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Sergeant Tom Vinnicombe, Natal Guides 10 years 11 months ago #11493

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 740
Many thanks, Elandslaagte. I must have seen the GMIC posting at the time, but I no longer remember the content. I will look for it later. Kleynhans is referred to several times in the Vinnicombe biography and I think the IY incident was the only occasion for a negative mention.

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sergeant Tom Vinnicombe, Natal Guides 10 years 11 months ago #11501

• Brett Hendey
I followed up the GMIC post and it does indeed provide a most interesting link between Vinnicombe, Kleynhans and Bethel. I have pointed out the book to Chris and it seems he will be buying a copy.

Regards
Brett

Sergeant Tom Vinnicombe, Natal Guides 8 years 4 months ago #44605

• Brett Hendey
Thanks to a tip from Henk, the purchasing power of my British daughter-in-law, and the delivery skill of Father Christmas, I am now the proud owner of two further links with Tom Vinnicombe and his family, which are shown below. Both envelopes are dated May 1902, by which time the Vinnicombes were happily settled in their Volksrust house, and once again in regular contact with friends and family in Maritzburg.

The first envelope is addressed to Tom's wife, Rachel, and the second to his son, Ernest. The second envelope was later used by a philatelist, perhaps Ernest himself, since it contained a few dozen cancelled Union of South Africa postage stamps, some date-stamped 1920.

Brett

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: capepolice

Sergeant Tom Vinnicombe, Natal Guides 8 years 4 months ago #44617

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Very nice Brett, I remain quite surprised by sheer amount of trade in envelopes, covers and postcards today, they seem very popular, I wonder just what the content of these letters originally had been?
I like the stamps too, I see the Colony was keen to use up stocks, with the old sovereign on them!
Happy new year to you and yours,
Kind regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Thanks to a tip from Henk, the purchasing power of my British daughter-in-law, and the delivery skill of Father Christmas, I am now the proud owner of two further links with Tom Vinnicombe and his family, which are shown below. Both envelopes are dated May 1902, by which time the Vinnicombes were happily settled in their Volksrust house, and once again in regular contact with friends and family in Maritzburg.

The first envelope is addressed to Tom's wife, Rachel, and the second to his son, Ernest. The second envelope was later used by a philatelist, perhaps Ernest himself, since it contained a few dozen cancelled Union of South Africa postage stamps, some date-stamped 1920.

Brett

Sergeant Tom Vinnicombe, Natal Guides 8 years 4 months ago #44619

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Hello Brett,

This is a fabulous thread, thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for posting.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.681 seconds