Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with the clasp Defence of Ladysmith 10 years 11 months ago #11079

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
How many volumes will there be? :woohoo:

djb wrote: Mike,

What an excellent array. Yes, I would like to generate a DoL book at some point.

Best wishes
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with the clasp Defence of Ladysmith 10 years 11 months ago #11081

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Frank,

It wouldn't be small, that's for sure. The increasing amount of information that is coming available means that the biographies are increasing.

I was thinking with Ladysmith to omit an account of the siege as that has been well documented already. So that would help!

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Defence of Ladysmith 10 years 11 months ago #11257

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49

djb wrote: Frank,

Five examples here, only 13,000 to go!

The server will crash, and it will not be from Boer Long Tom's!

Brian

QSAs with the clasp Defence of Ladysmith 10 years 11 months ago #11258

• Brianc
Gunner J. Hicks Natal Vol. Hotckiss Battery.

Bar Defence of Ladysmith.

Unit strength during the Defence of Ladysmith was 21

Natal Volunteer Hotchkiss Battery. This unit has also been referred to as the Maritzburg Artillery. A section of two 3-pounder Hotchkiss guns were raised in Pietermaritzburg in September 1899, and saw service in the Boer War, under Captain Walker with a personal of 25. During the Defence of Ladysmith they were attached to the Natal Volunteer Brigade. Whilst serving through the siege they had two men killed and five wounded on Wagon Hill during the attack by the Boers on the 6th January 1900. Rounds fired by the Battery during the Defence of Ladysmith amounted to 80.

Captain Walker succumbed to illness and the senior sergeant then commanded the unit until it’s disbandment. After the Relief of Ladysmith the unit was attached to Colonel Bethune’s force and took part in actions at Scheepers Nek in northern Natal and in the Eastern Transvaal. The Hotchkiss with its small caliber and short range was not an ideal weapon, and the unit was disbanded in November 1900.

The photo attached is the only known picture I have seen of the unit, it was taken in a Pietermaritzburg park during a public demonstration. This photo was later changed with the public being removed and a veld background added to appear as if it was taken as a "live action shot"!
I discovered this photo in the publication: Uniforms Illustrated No 19 The Boer War by P.J. Hawthorntwaith.

The medal is named up as Natal Vols.

I stand to be corrected but believe this was the smallest fighting unit in Ladymith and possibly in the War?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Frank Kelley

QSAs with the clasp Defence of Ladysmith 10 years 11 months ago #11267

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Brian,

Having posted my last message, I then read this thread and admired the contents.

Your last question is an interesting one. It will be interesting to see the responses.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Defence of Ladysmith 10 years 11 months ago #11271

• Brianc
David

It is a question I have asked myself a few times and suspect there are possibly smaller Town Guards but I still battle to class then as a fighting unit "as such". Unless they actually did fight and were not just "called out"! I know I will be shot down on this controversial point, but that is how I feel.

The Natal Volunteer Hotckiss Battery took part in some heavy action and took casualties.

Regards
Brian

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.561 seconds