• djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
A trio from the next Warwick and Warwick auction

QSA (2) DoK OFS
KSA (2)
Kimberley Star 'a'

To 502 Pte J.R. Radcliffe Kimberley Vol Regt (Kimberley V.R. on KSA, Star privately engraved 502 Pvt J. Radcliffe D. Coy Kimberley Regt)

Star missing top suspension bar, no rivets for OFS clasp.

With copy of QSA printed roll, clasps confirmed, also issued South Africa 1901 clasp of later roll, also served with Kimberley Light Horse March to June 1900, discharged 14/10/02 at own request.

Picture courtesy of Warwick and Warwick
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with clasp Defence of Kimberley 4 years 10 months ago #64030

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It is nice to see a trio that has remained extant, so many have not and it is also pleasing to see you can still go out and pick odd examples up these days, they used to be fairly common, times have certainly changed.

djb wrote: A trio from the next Warwick and Warwick auction

QSA (2) DoK OFS
KSA (2)
Kimberley Star 'a'

To 502 Pte J.R. Radcliffe Kimberley Vol Regt (Kimberley V.R. on KSA, Star privately engraved 502 Pvt J. Radcliffe D. Coy Kimberley Regt)

With copy of QSA printed roll, clasps confirmed, also issued South Africa 1901 clasp of later roll, also served with Kimberley Light Horse March to June 1900, discharged 14/10/02 at own request.

QSAs with clasp Defence of Kimberley 4 years 10 months ago #64081

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

QSA (1) DoK (Pte C.W. Johnson KTG)
Kimberley Star (hallmark a) privately engraved C.W. Johnson, Star missing top suspension bar, g

He served with No II Section, C Company, Pickering's Redoubt No 2.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with clasp Defence of Kimberley 4 years 10 months ago #64093

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
A handsome pair, a pity that the star is missing it's bar and brooch, but, no matter, it could be replaced, in time, with an original example.

djb wrote:

QSA (1) DoK (Pte C.W. Johnson KTG)
Kimberley Star (hallmark a) privately engraved C.W. Johnson, Star missing top suspension bar, g

He served with No II Section, C Company, Pickering's Redoubt No 2.

QSAs with clasp Defence of Kimberley 4 years 10 months ago #64359

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 363

djb wrote: A trio from the next Warwick and Warwick auction

QSA (2) DoK OFS
KSA (2)
Kimberley Star 'a'

I purchased this trio earlier this week. The naming on the star is very nice

His service history is confusing. He appears on three Kimberley Regiment rolls and these show his entitlement to the QSA with DOK and OFS clasps and KSA with 2 date clasps and his discharge date from the KRV as 26/09/02. The OFS clasps appears to have been issued separately which is consistent with it not being attached to the DOK

They also refer to his service in the Kimberley Light Horse with regimental no 195. Reference to the KLH roll

shows an unexpected entitlement to the Relief of Mafeking clasp earned whilst with the KLH from 9/03/00 until 5/06/00. The roll states "medal and clasp issued 18/06/02". There is no ROM clasp with the medal and no sign of any clasps having been removed so I guess this refers to the issue of the medal and DOK with the OFS and ROM issued later off of the KLH roll. Interestingly, although he is shown as "J" Radcliffe on all of the rolls and on the medals he appears to have attested to the KLH under the name "Lewis" Radcliffe and appears as such in the nominal roll.

I am unable to decipher the entry in red in the right hand column of the nominal roll. Any thoughts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

QSAs with clasp Defence of Kimberley 4 years 10 months ago #64360

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Paul,

A very nice trio.

I listed him as Lewis on my roll although there is some doubt from the Star that this should have been 'J' given that he would have requested the Star be named. It is odd that he signed himself with initial 'L'. The medals were not known (to me at least) as the time the book was written.

I thought the RoM mark on the KLH roll was an error for DoK and that this was supported by the note saying 'medal and 1 clasp (presumably DoK from the KVR) issued 18 October (?) 1902'

The entry on the nominal roll reads 'Dis[charged] 5.6.00 Char[acter] VG (Very good) TE (time expired)'

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.014 seconds