Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Kimberley Light Horse 10 years 11 months ago #10500

• rdarby
  • rdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Hello

In the spirit of me feeling very happy to have got this, I thought I would share it!

This morning I won on our favourite online auction site a QSA to Pte L Erasmus Kimberly Town Guard. Since I am a Town Guard collector this was interesting, as he has some bars.

He got the Defence of Kimberly with the TG, but then went on to join the Kimberly Light Horse and got the other bars, being Relief of Mafeking and Orange Free State.

I remember doing some research into what unit was on a QSA, and it depended on when the QSA was named up. Early ones were your first unit, later ones were your last unit, or something like that. I can't remember!

But that would explain why he is named to the TG, as it was his first unit.

Cheers
Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kimberley Light Horse 10 years 11 months ago #10501

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Congrat's Ryan......

Bid on that one myself.....

I have found that in some cases it depends on when the medal roll is submitted..... The original medal is issued to the first unit that the person served in or whoever got their medal roll in first.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Kimberley Light Horse 10 years 11 months ago #10502

• rdarby
  • rdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Cheers Mike! You made me pay a bit, I had to get up twice in the night and increase my bid!

Medal roll submitted first makes sense.

Kimberley Light Horse 10 years 11 months ago #10507

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Ryan

Congratulations on your acquisition. I think it is the 'Relief of Mafeking' clasp that makes this medal very special.

Regards
Brett

Kimberley Light Horse 10 years 11 months ago #10510

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Ryan,

Congratulations on a very nice addition.
I also watched this one but did not bid, one of the two clasps I still need so I am envious :woohoo:
Hope you can post some pics when received.

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Kimberley Light Horse 10 years 11 months ago #10511

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning Ryan,
Although this was the case with your man, it is very unwise to just assume that any given man would always have his medal issued by the first unit he served in, whilst this was often the case, it did not always happen that way and you should always treat every medal recipient as an individual case.
Interestingly, upon looking in WO100, he appears to have later served in the SALH too.
Kind regards Frank

rdarby wrote: Hello

In the spirit of me feeling very happy to have got this, I thought I would share it!

This morning I won on our favourite online auction site a QSA to Pte L Erasmus Kimberly Town Guard. Since I am a Town Guard collector this was interesting, as he has some bars.

He got the Defence of Kimberly with the TG, but then went on to join the Kimberly Light Horse and got the other bars, being Relief of Mafeking and Orange Free State.

I remember doing some research into what unit was on a QSA, and it depended on when the QSA was named up. Early ones were your first unit, later ones were your last unit, or something like that. I can't remember!

But that would explain why he is named to the TG, as it was his first unit.

Cheers
Ryan

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.406 seconds