Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 11 months ago #10397

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello David,
Its not always easy is it? just so many differing copies, of differing ages too, I suppose one of the pitfalls of collecting, we should always inspect every item with great care, in particular, all the scarcer clasps, before we part with our money.
Kind regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 11 months ago #10398

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Frank,

I agree. It is not always easy to discern some copies from the originals.

I'm not sure if the original clasps were made by multiple suppliers?

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 11 months ago #10400

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
I wonder if copy clasps are more likely to surface on medals purchased in Britain than in the Colonies (e.g. South Africa)? Most of the medals in my collection are one or two steps away from the family of origin, so the addition of copy clasps is unlikely.

As far as I know, there is only one QSA in my collection with copy clasps and they are on a medal that belonged to a British soldier. The clasps are likely to have been assembled in Britain. Elsewhere on this forum I have mentioned a large collection of medals that recently moved from Durban to London. I catalogued this collection and in it I found only one very obvious copy clasp - a 'Wepener' that had obviously been added to enhance the value of the medal, which had been purchased by my late friend in London.

Brett

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 11 months ago #10401

• Frank Kelley
Hello Brett,
I agree with you and would say that you are less likely to find medals with copy clasp in South Africa, that has always been my experience.
Only to be expected though when you start number crunching.
Kind regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: I wonder if copy clasps are more likely to surface on medals purchased in Britain than in the Colonies (e.g. South Africa)? Most of the medals in my collection are one or two steps away from the family of origin, so the addition of copy clasps is unlikely.

As far as I know, there is only one QSA in my collection with copy clasps and they are on a medal that belonged to a British soldier. The clasps are likely to have been assembled in Britain. Elsewhere on this forum I have mentioned a large collection of medals that recently moved from Durban to London. I catalogued this collection and in it I found only one very obvious copy clasp - a 'Wepener' that had obviously been added to enhance the value of the medal, which had been purchased by my late friend in London.

Brett

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 11 months ago #10403

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Afternoon Gentlemen......

When I purchased my dated medal to Townsend the Natal bar was a copy but I had it removed and an proper bar inserted.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 11 months ago #10407

• Frank Kelley
Hello Mike,
I am assuming that particular medal was without the clasps he was entitled to when it was presented to him?
Which Townsend do you have, I think there were a couple of them?
Regards Frank

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Afternoon Gentlemen......

When I purchased my dated medal to Townsend the Natal bar was a copy but I had it removed and an proper bar inserted.....

Mike

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.408 seconds