Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kaplan Auctions 7 years 7 months ago #48472

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Given the limited size of the medal collecting world in South Africa, this is all rather disappointing and very surprising news, I am indeed, staggered and truly speechless!

Brett Hendey wrote: The theft of the Farmer medal group is another in an increasing number of disgraceful incidents involving the assault on South Africa's Colonial heritage. Interestingly, it has occurred in what South African's know as "Heritage Month". It includes a "Heritage Day", which is due in a week or two, when we are all urged to celebrate our shared heritage.

In Mark Coglan's Natal Carbineers history, 'Pro Patria' , which was published by the Regiment in 2000, his record of Farmer's heroism includes the following statements on page 17:
"An application for the VC was turned down."
Instead Farmer "was awarded the .... [DCM], the only one awarded to a Natalian during the Victorian period."

Coglan missed the significance of Farmer's DCM. It clearly was not the only DCM awarded to a Natalian during the Victorian period (i.e. the Boer War), but it was the only DCM (Dominiom & Colonial - Natal) (MYB 42) awarded during this war. It is, therefore, a unique item of Natal's history. (The only other Victorian D & C DCM awarded was in Canada.)

One might presume that since Kaplan knows who submitted the group for sale, it will not be difficult to identify the thief. I for one look forward to further developments in this matter.

Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kaplan Auctions 7 years 7 months ago #48494

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315
From Kaplan this morning regarding the Farmer group -The owner of Lot H002 has decided to sell the group. Therefore not withdrawn
To echo Frank
"Given the limited size of the medal collecting world in South Africa, this is all rather disappointing and very surprising news, I am indeed, staggered and truly speechless"
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

Kaplan Auctions 7 years 7 months ago #48495

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
Was it definitely a Natal DCM with Colony of Natal on the reverse? Or just a normal DCM (catalogue does notvstate if Victoria or Edward) that happened to be issued to a Natalian?

Kaplan Auctions 7 years 7 months ago #48496

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
At present I am none the wiser, but this cannot be the end of the matter.

Brett

Kaplan Auctions 7 years 7 months ago #48497

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
You are speechless too?
We could start a club. :(

David Grant wrote: From Kaplan this morning regarding the Farmer group -The owner of Lot H002 has decided to sell the group. Therefore not withdrawn
To echo Frank
"Given the limited size of the medal collecting world in South Africa, this is all rather disappointing and very surprising news, I am indeed, staggered and truly speechless"

Kaplan Auctions 7 years 7 months ago #48498

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4512
David G, who does MK think the owner of the group is?

Does anyone know if the Museum has asserted its claim over the medals?
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.555 seconds