TOPIC:

QSAs with clasp Talana 10 years 2 months ago #17501

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Brett,

I did search for Bandsman Brown and matched his regimental number and surname. Success I thought! But no, it was another 2327 Brown with the forename Frank :(
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with clasp Talana 10 years 2 months ago #17506

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
David

Thank you for trying. I was recently fed up by my failure to find any records of 'my' Burger Cilliers of the Heilbron Commando. I blamed the poor record-keeping of the relatively small population of South Africa in the 19th and early 20th Centuries. It seems that the very good records in Britain at those times can be as problematical because of too many people sharing names. The genealogists who trace ancestries back into the mists of time must be especially talented people.

Regards
Brett

QSAs with clasp Talana 10 years 1 month ago #18267

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I have been very fortunate in the past to handle the VC awarded to Maj Bradley.

Here are his miniatures from the next DNW auction.

Picture courtesy of DNW

VC, reverse centre inscribed, ‘26 /9/1901’, suspension bar reverse inscribed, ‘F. H. Bradley’; QSA (5) Tal DoL OFS Tr LN ; KSA (2); Natal 1906, 1 clasp, 1906; 1914-15 Star, reverse inscribed, ‘Lieu. F. H. Bradley V.C. Wit. Rifles’; British War and Victory Medals; Coronation 1937; Colonial Auxiliary Force Officers’ Decoration, G.V.R., with top bar; Colonial Auxiliary Forces Long Service, G.V.R., these mounted for wear; together with a Somme Commemorative Medal, bronze.

VC LG 27 December 1901.

‘On 26 September 1901 at Itala, South Africa, there was a call for volunteers to carry ammunition up the hill. To do this, a space of about 150 yards swept by a heavy cross-fire, had to be crossed. A driver and a gunner came forward and started, but half way across the driver fell wounded. Driver Bradley and the gunner, without hesitation, ran out, and while the injured man was carried to cover, Driver Bradley, with another volunteer, succeeded in getting the ammunition up the hill.’ (Ref. The Register of the Victoria Cross).
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with clasp Talana 10 years 3 weeks ago #18909

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Medals4Heroes are currently offering two Talana pairs to the 18th Hussars:

1. 4167 Pte W Taylor, 18H. Missing - Released on 4th September 1900 at Schoeman's Kloof. £780

2. 4471 Pte W Denney, 18H. £480.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with clasp Talana 10 years 3 weeks ago #18911

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The 18th Hussars suffered three wounded at Scheoman's Kloof that day. He was released on the occupation of Lydenburg (reported 21 Sep 1900).

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with clasp Talana 10 years 3 weeks ago #18915

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello David,
Not exactly bargains are they, I can remember the days when you could just pick the phone up, have a chat with Brian Clark and buy a Talana for £120 or so, very happy days indeed!
Kind regards Frank

djb wrote: Medals4Heroes are currently offering two Talana pairs to the 18th Hussars:

1. 4167 Pte W Taylor, 18H. Missing - Released on 4th September 1900 at Schoeman's Kloof. £780

2. 4471 Pte W Denney, 18H. £480.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.289 seconds