Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with clasp Talana - searching 9 years 2 months ago #24852

• Saltjm
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank,
A really full and helpful reply, thank you.
I shall take your advice and place a post here and elsewhere regarding the medal in question.
Thanks again
James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with clasp Talana 9 years 1 month ago #25701

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
The group to J Clarke, KRRC & ASC.

Picture courtesy of DNW

IGS 1854-95 (1) Burma 1889-92 (5712 Pte., 4th Bn. K. Rl. Rif. Corps);
IGS 1895 (1) Relief of Chitral 1895 (5712 Corpl., 1st Bn. K.R. Rifle Corps);
QSA (6) Tal, DoL, LN, Belf, CC, OFS (5712 Serjt., K.R.R.C.) clasps mounted in that order;
KSA (2) (5712 Serjt., K.R.R.C.);
1914-15 Star (SS-18715 Pte-A. Sjt., A.S.C.);
BWM and VM (SS-18715 A. Sjt., A.S.C.);
Army LS&GC, E.VII.R. (5712 C. Sjt., K.R.R.C.);
Army MSM, G.VI.R., 1st issue, unnamed

John Clarke was born in Semer, Suffolk in 1872. In July 1890 he enlisted into the King’s Royal Rifle Corps and was posted to the 2nd Battalion in Ireland. In September 1891 Clarke was part of a draft of 80 men posted to the 4th Battalion K.R.R.C. in Burma. He served in the Burma campaign of 1889-92. In October 1892, he was one of 317 men posted to 1st Battalion K.R.R.C. in India. With them he served in the Chitral Relief Force of 1895. In 1896 the battalion was posted to South Africa. Serving throughout the Boer War, he saw action at Talana, Farquhar’s Farm; Defence of Ladysmith; Laing’s Nek and Belfast. For his services Clarke was mentioned in Lord Robert’s despatches (London Gazette 10 September 1901).

Colour Serjeant Clarke was probably discharged in 1911 having completed 21 years with the Colours. With the onset of the Great War, Clarke enlisted into the Army Service Corps on 11 October 1915 and was posted to France as an Acting Sergeant on 12 November 1915. He was discharged due to sickness on 2 April 1917 and awarded the Silver War Badge (not with lot). Awarded the M.S.M. per Army Order 73 of 1949 (unnamed M.S.M. later added to the group).
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with clasp Talana 9 years 1 month ago #26057

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The group to Lieutenant H Tyler, King’s Royal Rifle Corps

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (5) CC Tal DoL OFS Belf (8488 Serjt., K.R.R.C.)
KSA (2) (8488 Serjt. K.R.R.C.)
Army LS & GC GVR 1st issue (8488 C. Sjt., K.R.R.C.)

Henry James Tyler was born in Cradley, Stourbridge, Worcestershire in 1876. A Carter by occupation, he attested for the King’s Royal Rifle Corps at Birmingham on 7 March 1894, aged 18 years, 4 months. With the 1st Battalion he served in India, February-December 1896; South Africa, December 1896-September 1902; Malta, September 1902-February 1905 and Egypt, February 1905-February 1909. Gained Proficiency in Ballooning in March 1904. Promoted to Colour Serjeant in December 1906. Served Colour Serjeant Permanent Party Instructor with the 5th (City of London) Battalion London Regiment (London Rifle Brigade), 1909-1914. Promoted to Acting Sergeant-Major in September 1914, he served as such with the 2/5th Battalion London Regiment, 1914-15. On 9 April 1915 he was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in the K.R.R.C. (London Gazette 8 April 1915) and later promoted to Lieutenant (London Gazette 12 March 1917) and served with the 5th (Special Reserve) King’s Royal Rifle Corps, 1915-17. Placed on Half Pay due to ill-health on 1 March 1917 (London Gazette 25 May 1917). Lieutenant Tyler died at Leytonstone, Essex on 17 October 1922.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with clasp Talana 9 years 4 days ago #26695

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Evening David.....

Since I am going to be housebound for the next 6 to 8 weeks I have been cleaning out some records that I have here and finally getting rid of some junk........

I found the following and if they could all be verified......

It is a list of medals that I mounted and framed for the family wayyyyyyyy back in 1977, I wish I knew where they are now as they would make a fine addition to the collection.....

1) SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL bar 1879 - LIEUT. E. C. ALEXANDER, ARMY HOSPITAL CORPS
2) EGYPT MEDAL bar SUAKIN 1885 - LIEUT. E. C. ALEXANDER, N.S.W. CONTINGENT M.S.C.
3) QUEEN'S SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL bars CAPE COLONY, TALANA, ORANGE FREE STATE, RELIEF OF LADYSMITH, TRANSVAAL, LAING'S NEK - 1072 HOSPT. SERJT. E. C. ALEXANDER, IMP. LT. HORSE
4) KING'S SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL bars SOUTH AFRICA 1901, SOUTH AFRICA 1902 - 1072 HOSPT. SJT. MAJ. E. C. ALEXANDER, IMP. LT. HORSE
5) CORONATION MEDAL, KING GEORGE V - (Privately Named) LIEUT. E. C. ALEXANDER, NATL. RESERVE - ESSEX CITY - EAST HAM DIV.
6) KHEDIVE'S EGYPTIAN STAR - Un-DATED - Un-NAMED

Looked for him in the "Talana" book not there but he is in the nominal roll as Hospital Sergeant Major....... Does anyone have the medal roll for ILH and can check......

Three different countries - England, Australia and South Africa, boy did he move around......

Valued at that time for insurance purposes $290.00, not by me, by a local dealer no longer in business.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

QSAs with clasp Talana 9 years 4 days ago #26696

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Mike
I had a look in my ILH roll; boy, is that roll a mess - pages in wrong order and mixed up with pages from other unit rolls. I found "1072 Sgt. Alexander E.C." in the 2ILH QSA roll and the clasp entitlement is covered- could be OFS/TV??? There is a marginal note : "medal and 3 clasps returned from SA -indecipherable - sent ? to British Consul, Shanghai 1904". I had a look in the ILH Kings Medal rolls and I found "1072 Hosp. Sgt.Maj. Alexander E.C." in the 2ILH. Marginal note "also served TMI 7587, SAMIF and Midland MR. Medal sent "to Vice Consul, Shanghai".
On TMI roll, "7587 Pte Alexander, Eustace Charles, medal issued off 2ILH, CC/OFS/TV. Transfer (?) to M.M.R.
Hope this helps a bit.
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE

QSAs with clasp Talana 9 years 3 days ago #26705

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Mike,

This is the information to which Ian refers. I can see what he means!

I have rechecked and I cannot see an entitlement for Talana.

The group is very unusual. I'll check the other campaign medals.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.290 seconds