Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 6 years 8 months ago #54459

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
David
Horrible! In a way interesting, as I have never seen a copy LN clasp before. As well, the medal mounting pin (12 o'clock on medal) is hammered flat. I hope no one is taken in by it.
Regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 6 years 8 months ago #54486

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think it is very sad to see people selling obvious rubbish, ebay, is one thing, but, to actually see provincial salerooms being so blatant is disturbing.

djb wrote: Elandslaagte to the ILI??

Picture courtesy of Lockdales

The description says: QSA with clasps Laings Nek/Relief of Ladysmith/Tugela Heights/Elandslaagte (scarce clasp) to 615 Pte W Cowen IMP Lt INFY

That would be unusual.

WO100/252p19 lists Tr TH Rof LN. QSA (4) issued 12 May 1905. Also served JMR 275.

The ILI nominal roll says William Cowin joined 15 Nov 99 and was discharged 16 Nov 00.

The rivets don't look very good, the clasp spacing is wrong and all 4 clasps are copies in my opinion.

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 6 years 8 months ago #54496

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
When did any saleroom let research get in the way of a quick buck?

Given the speed one can verify a QSA or KSA today it is bordering on the criminal.

Frank Kelley wrote: I think it is very sad to see people selling obvious rubbish, ebay, is one thing, but, to actually see provincial salerooms being so blatant is disturbing.

The description says: QSA with clasps Laings Nek/Relief of Ladysmith/Tugela Heights/Elandslaagte (scarce clasp) to 615 Pte W Cowen IMP Lt INFY

That would be unusual.

WO100/252p19 lists Tr TH Rof LN. QSA (4) issued 12 May 1905. Also served JMR 275.

The ILI nominal roll says William Cowin joined 15 Nov 99 and was discharged 16 Nov 00.

The rivets don't look very good, the clasp spacing is wrong and all 4 clasps are copies in my opinion.

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 6 years 8 months ago #54504

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
I am very surprised by Lockdales. This is the first time I can remember them letting a QSA like this through.
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 6 years 8 months ago #54514

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Meurig,
Well, I have never had any dealings whatsoever, with this saleroom, but, quite frankly, I do find this sort of thing, really disgraceful, I do not know if they have a "condition report" or an "originality guarantee" and so on, the use of the phrase, in the description "rare clasp" as mentioned by David, suggests, to me, at least, they are actually selling this particular lot as genuine, or attempting to, when, very clearly, it is not.
There are a great many people, for example, who use ebay and would never even contemplate the use of similar sharp practice, it really does beggar belief.
Regards Frank.

SWB wrote: When did any saleroom let research get in the way of a quick buck?

Given the speed one can verify a QSA or KSA today it is bordering on the criminal.

Frank Kelley wrote: I think it is very sad to see people selling obvious rubbish, ebay, is one thing, but, to actually see provincial salerooms being so blatant is disturbing.

That would be unusual.

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 6 years 8 months ago #54649

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Cowen's QSA sold for a hammer price of £320 yesterday so about right for a 'correct' medal.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.832 seconds