Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

City Coins 2 years 1 month ago #81667

• Jon
  • Thank you received: 50
Thank you David! I had made a guess it was #32 based on this photo - see "C32" at bottom and it has the look/feel of pictures in the City Coins catalogue. And I guessed the date 1997 as a post from someone else mentioned getting a medal from the Cairncross collection in 1997.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

City Coins 1 year 6 months ago #85821

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
It has been a while since this thread has been active but the exciting news is that Auction 73 is being prepared in Cape Town.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

City Coins 1 year 6 months ago #85822

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Good news indeed David!

City Coins 1 year 6 months ago #85827

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
I’m really glad about that. I was a bit worried about them. Glad they are doing well.

City Coins 1 year 5 months ago #86042

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
There is sone more information and a teaser in the latest Medal News

Following Postal Medal Auction 71 “Boer War Battles” in November 2020 Cape Town Auction House City Coins are shortly to offer a further fine selection of Boer War military and commemorative medals in Postal Auction 73. This postal auction, due later this month, will include some 200 medal lots from the collection of the late Keith Sparrow which will be complemented by the sale of the superb collection of military commemorative medals assembled by Henk Loots. It was this collection which was photographed and formed the basis of the standard reference work published by Brian Hern in 2008. Having spared little effort, or expense, Henk’s collection was formed over more than 40 years and highlights the vast and sometimes surprising international interest in the Boer War through the extraordinary diversity of medallions coming from countries such as the Netherlands, France, Germany, Austria, Portugal and Belgium as well as, of course, South Africa, Britain and countries of the British Empire like Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

The auction will include rare named awards presented to leading personalities such as Lord Kitchener, Colonel Baden-Powell and Paul Kruger himself whilst the extensive array of military medals will offer something for every Anglo-Boer War collector.

City Coins tell us that the auction will close with the impressive group of medals and orders awarded to a British Officer who was recommended for the Victoria Cross for his personal gallantry in India. He had retired from the Army, but once more responding further to the call of duty, he donned a uniform once again achieving further fame, including a Knighthood, before finally retiring with the rank of Brigadier General—his group apparently includes campaign medals, named as a senior officer, for the Indian Wars, the Zulu War, the Gun War in Basutoland and both the First and Second Anglo Boer Wars.

To find out exactly who this officer you (and we) will have to visit www.citycoins.com/medal-auctions .
Dr David Biggins

City Coins 1 year 5 months ago #86119

• jan808
  • Thank you received: 13
Is it just me or does the City Coins link call up an error message? I tried with a couple of different browsers, as well as trying to get to their website via Google, but it just says there has been "a critical error on your website". Worth flagging to the hosts?

Cheers,
J

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.971 seconds