City Coins 5 years 5 months ago #60894

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Not long to wait now!

Natalie says 'The first provisional listing of prices realized will be placed the website on Monday, 22 October 2018 at 3pm (SA).'
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

City Coins 5 years 5 months ago #60896

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
They are very quick considering the complex instructions they allow around bids. No one else I know of is that flexible.

City Coins 5 years 5 months ago #60897

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
I have on more than one occasion secured items by specifying the out-of-numerical-order sequence when bidding: e.g If Lot 999 not secured transfer R1000- to Lot 888. However, that makes winding up of the "Prices Realised" much more time consuming
Henk

City Coins 5 years 5 months ago #60898

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Knowing that Natalie and her team are working on the bids this weekend, I have been pondering what they have to do. Single bids can easily be calculated using a spreadsheet to identify the two top bidders snd then determine the hammer price as the next price level above the lower bidder. If bidders use a strategy like the one Henk mentions, the calculation moves from basic arithmetic to become an optimisation problem requiring multiple iterations to find the optimal solution. This is programatically complex and can be complicated further by the range of bidding scenarios that can be submitted.

Let's hope that Natalie and her team do not have too many of these scenarios to deal with!

I wish them well this weekend.
Dr David Biggins

City Coins 5 years 5 months ago #60899

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Natalie and her team is actually Natalie on her own! She does all calculations personally.
Henk

City Coins 5 years 5 months ago #60900

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
This is the first time in nearly 20 years that I have not placed a bid on a City Coins auction, so, rather than feeling stressed while waiting for the prices realised to be posted, I feel only regret. This is also the first time I have not received a hard copy of the catalogue. The SA PO probably has an unequaled record for all kinds of negative reasons. This week I received a postcard from a friend, which was posted in the Netherlands on 2 May, and I count myself as fortunate to have received it at all.

Brett

PS At about now the SA PO is to take over the monthly payments of social pensions to the 17 million people who qualify. Good luck to them!

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.469 seconds