Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Examples of renamed QSAs and KSAs 11 years 1 month ago #8205

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Brett
I have heard the same about QSA's issued to nurses. They do not turn up very often here in OZ. Some time ago I ran across a QSA/KSA pair (no bars) both impressed to "Miss J.M.French" on QSA and "Nursing Sister J.M.French" on KSA. The QSA shows no sign of skimming; the three diameters are 1.436/1.435/1.437. The KSA's three diameters are 1.426/1.425/1.426. Measurements in inches! Perhaps some were skimmed and renamed and some were not. I always sort of assumed that the mint struck the predicted number of QSA's and that any shortfall would be made up from skimming (if that is the correct term) returned/unclaimed medals. How that squares against the very occasional very late QSA seen struck on a thinner flan and later type of suspension, is something I do not know.
Regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Examples of renamed QSAs and KSAs 11 years 1 month ago #8206

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Brett, Ian,

I think that was the case too. I now expect most nurses QSAs/KSAs to be renamed but this not always the case. Possibly, the later the issue the more likely it was to be officially renamed. The doctors in the siege of Kimberley were a case in point where all the medals that have surfaced from this later roll have been renamed.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Examples of renamed QSAs and KSAs 11 years 1 month ago #8217

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning Everyone.....

I just checked the Nursing Sisters in my collection and they have not been "Officially Renamed".....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Examples of renamed QSAs and KSAs 11 years 1 month ago #8420

• boerwarnurses
  • Thank you received: 7
Hiya,

some of the nurses changed designation so the JM French medals are correct. She started off as a locally employed nurses and would have a QSA as Miss JM French, but then joined the nursing reserve and became Sister JM French. This was not uncommon - the changing of designation that is - though I don't have any KSAa to go with my QSAs so I haven't seen this borne out on the medals before.

cheers
Researching Nurses in the Boer War 1899-1902

Examples of renamed QSAs and KSAs 11 years 1 month ago #8423

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Boerwarnurses
Thanks for that info. The change in designation did puzzle me a bit - but you have explained it well!
IL.

Examples of renamed QSAs and KSAs 11 years 1 month ago #8456

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi David
I refer to your earlier note.
I have had contact with our friend who still tries to sell Chapin's renamed group : he is adamant that this is as Chapin wore them after he was cashiered and his DSO revoked.
My interest in Chapin : I have his original KSA, correctly named CAPT S H CHAPIN D S O S A L H
I treasure it because of his connection with the 1904 "Boer War Circus" : my sole medal to a participant on the British Side.
Henk

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.832 seconds