TOPIC:

Re: Pte.Thomas Slater KOYLI wounded at Enslin 11 years 2 months ago #7919

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Thanks again Frank.

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Good evening Paul,
That is the way I collected originally, got all the clasps first though, then concentrated on the battles and then on certin units, but, the medals were all around in reasonable quantities, so was not really a problem back then.
I would say just keep on going, honest text book medals as cheap as you can find them.
Regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Pte.Thomas Slater KOYLI wounded at Enslin 11 years 2 months ago #7945

• coldstream
I was thinking about the rarity of a single clasp Belmont to this Regiment. I had a quick scan through the roll for the KOYLI ( WO 100/194) and apart from Pte. Slater there are a further 32 with single clasp Belmont.
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Pte.Thomas Slater KOYLI wounded at Enslin 11 years 2 months ago #7959

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Paul,
I can well remember the days when I first started to collect medals, in the case of QSA's, I had to look them up in my very old South African Field Force casualty roll and then it was off to the Public Record Office, followed by a manual search in WO97 and the micro film copies of WO100, very, very happy days indeed!
Regards Frank

coldstream wrote: I was thinking about the rarity of a single clasp Belmont to this Regiment. I had a quick scan through the roll for the KOYLI ( WO 100/194) and apart from Pte. Slater there are a further 32 with single clasp Belmont.

Re: Pte.Thomas Slater KOYLI wounded at Enslin 11 years 2 months ago #7962

• coldstream
Frank
I am sure it must have being more exciting than finding them online, not that I would ever complain about the research sites, they have enhanced my hobby greatly.

Frank Kelley wrote: Paul,
I can well remember the days when I first started to collect medals, in the case of QSA's, I had to look them up in my very old South African Field Force casualty roll and then it was off to the Public Record Office, followed by a manual search in WO97 and the micro film copies of WO100, very, very happy days indeed!
Regards Frank

coldstream wrote: I was thinking about the rarity of a single clasp Belmont to this Regiment. I had a quick scan through the roll for the KOYLI ( WO 100/194) and apart from Pte. Slater there are a further 32 with single clasp Belmont.

Re: Pte.Thomas Slater KOYLI wounded at Enslin 11 years 2 months ago #7963

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
It was more of a social thing back then, many memorable chance meetings with people like Anthony Farrington, but, there were lots of disadvantages too, for example, WO363/364 were not then available, none the less, very happy days indeed!
Regards Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.478 seconds