Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Christmas Present to Myself....... 11 years 4 months ago #7168

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Day Everyone......

Has a little cash left over from my Christmas shopping so thought I would buy something for myself......

Now all I have to do is wait for it to arrive......

and Confirm that even though there are 3 different units and numbers that they are all the same man.......

Mike

P.S. Now looking for a group with an M.C. and a QSA in it......

A Military Medal Group to Private Keane - Military Medal (32880 PTE, P. KEANE. 1-R.S. FUS.); Queen's South Africa Medal, CAPE COLONY, ORANGE FREE STATE, TRANSVAAL, SOUTH AFRICA 1902 (7287 PTE. P. KEANE. R. DUB. FUS.); 1914 Star, 1 Clasp - 5th AUG. - 22nd NOV. 1914 (3-3092 PTE. P. KEANE. R. HIGHRS.); British War Medal (3-3092 PTE, P. KEANE. R. HIGHRS.); and Victory Medal (unnamed). Naming is officially impressed on the first four medals. Court-mounted, with swing bar pinback, ready for wearing, light contact, near extremely fine. Accompanied by copies of the QSA Roll of Individuals (marked "Forfeited" in first column and "Red'd 2.5/07"), the London Gazette (January 28, 1918, p. 1390, citing his Military Medal).

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Christmas Present to Myself....... 11 years 4 months ago #7189

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Very nice.

I had a good look at this but was put off by the unnamed Victory. MM & QSAs are not common and judging by the group that sold at the recent DNW - much sought after.

Hope the research turns out well.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Re: Christmas Present to Myself....... 11 years 4 months ago #7196

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
An ideal Xmas present Mike and that combination of MM before his QSA is lovely.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Christmas Present to Myself....... 11 years 4 months ago #7216

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
An excellent choice as a gift, Mike.

Regards
Brett

Re: Christmas Present to Myself....... 11 years 4 months ago #7222

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
I am rather curious to know why you want the MM/QSA and MC/QSA combinations so much, as a Boer War collector, would you turn down other Boer War groups, that would fit very well into your collection in favour of these?
Regards Frank

Re: Christmas Present to Myself....... 11 years 4 months ago #7223

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Frank.....

Oh yes I will gladly take a Boer War group over anything else especially if it had a Canadian or Canadian Scouts QSA in it..... When I was in the UK I went to a few dealers and Britania Medal fair and there was not a single Canadian medal to be found.....

I have groups from the Boer War and World War One (that have QSA's) that contain D.S.O's and D.C.M.'s..... Therefore I thought that it would be nice to have a group containing a QSA and an M.M. or M.C. ..... I will never be able to afford any of the Naval Gallantry or a Victoria Cross from the Boer War era, that is unless I win the lottery.....

The men who have a QSA and W.W.1 pair or trio were in some cases the backbone of a regiment during WW1 as they were old enough to have the maturity to steady the younger soldiers in the line.... Then to win a gallantry medal on top of that I would think the icing on the cake..... Also many of the officers in WW1 were enlisted during the Boer War and they had to prove themselves even more.....

There is one, and M.C. group, for sale right now with a Wepener bar on his QSA but it was just out of my price range.....

I do have a group for a man who served right the way through from the Boer War to World War Two and has medals for all of them, a Civilian Clerk in the Boer War, a Paymaster Lt. Commander RNVR in WW1 and Merchant Navy in WW2.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.487 seconds