Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Trooper F.C.Else Midland Mounted Rifles 11 years 4 months ago #7086

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
A little further research about the MMR
I found this passage from A.C.Doyles The Great Boer War from the books menu.

The second traveller who sailed within a few days of the Governor was Mrs. Botha, the wife of the Boer General, who visited Europe for private as well as political reasons. She bore to Kruger an exact account of the state of the country and of the desperate condition of the burghers. Her mission had no immediate or visible effect, and the weary war, exhausting for the British but fatal for the Boers, went steadily on.

To continue the survey of the operations in the Cape, the first point scored was by the invaders, for Malan's commando succeeded upon May 13th in overwhelming a strong patrol of the Midland Mounted Rifles, the local colonial corps, to the south of Maraisburg. Six killed, eleven wounded, and forty-one prisoners were the fruits of his little victory, which furnished him also with a fresh supply of rifles and ammunition. On May 21st Crabbe's column was in touch with Lotter and with Lategan, but no very positive result came from the skirmish.

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trooper F.C.Else Midland Mounted Rifles 9 years 6 months ago #23249

• bigbumst
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My wife inhereted a QSA medal from her mother. The inscription is 1028 SJT F. Else Steinaeckers Horse. We are trying to do a family geneology for my wife and have not found the Else name anywhere and have no idea why my mother in law has this medal. If you have any information I would appreciate this. I can be reached at [email protected]. Thank You

Trooper F.C.Else Midland Mounted Rifles 9 years 6 months ago #23250

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Frederick ELSE Sergeant numbers both 45 and 1028 from Yorkshire with no previous service. Enlisted in Steinaecker's H on 15th August 1900 and was responsible for the unit's Maxim gun. Discharged at own request 08031901 at PMB. The medal to SH should have the clasps TV and 1901 affixed. Aside from the above info, there are a couple of text references to Sgt. ELSE in "Steinaecker's Horsemen" ISBN 0 9584782 -4-4.
Regards
IL.

Trooper F.C.Else Midland Mounted Rifles 9 years 6 months ago #23291

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
I got quite excited when I saw my thread opened after a year.
Hoping for a further development to my medal :blink:

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Trooper F.C.Else Midland Mounted Rifles 9 years 5 months ago #23297

• bigbumst
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Paul, do you have some connection to tis particular medal

Trooper F.C.Else Midland Mounted Rifles 9 years 5 months ago #23674

• bigbumst
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Paul,
you refer to this medal as yours.My mother in law who had the medal was a Doult and her mothers name was Bartrop. We are still trying to find out why she had the medal. Do you know if these names have any relationship to Mr. Else. thank you David

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.581 seconds