Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Medals to "Hensoppers & Joiners" 11 years 5 months ago #6664

• Henk Loots
  • Henk Loots's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Justin

I misread your comment on the "National Scouts" : oops! You did not say it was used by the Boers but by the British.

Henk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Medals to "Hensoppers & Joiners" 11 years 5 months ago #6666

• munroe
  • Thank you received: 48
Dear Henk

Interesting that you think it could be father and son. But just as easily it could be the same guy. I will try pull files from the National archives and see if there is anything that could be found there. You never know what his estate file can say. I have had estate files refer to their medals on their distribution account.

worthy of further research I think

Munroe

Medals to "Hensoppers & Joiners" 6 years 2 months ago #57181

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180
Dear Members

This has been in my collection for a few years and some of you have seen it, it was purchased locally in the Lowveld, the old Eastern Transvaal.

I have never been able to find out much about him as it seems Broodwyk is an unusual name, and did not give me any hits in the archive or other sources. However someone recently suggested I should try Broodryk or a variation of.

Taking all the variations found in the National Scout Medal Roll revealed the following

ISSUED MEDALS
64 TPR G.C. BROODWYK
97 TPR W.F. BROODWYK
296 TPR S.W. BROODWYK
328 TPR S.W.P.J. BROODWYK

RETURNED MEDALS
213 TPR H.P. BROODWYK
215 TPR G.M. BROODWYK
216 TPR C.W. BROODRIJK
70 TPR S.W.P.J. BROODRIJK
CPL G.F. BROODRYK
SGT J.J. BROODRYK
3543 TPR G.F. BROODRYK
3544 TPR G. BROODRYK

Cross referencing the BCCD Concentration Camp Data base I found only one Broodryk with the initials G.C., where it lists a Mr Gert Christiaan Broodryk, a white male farmer from Ermelo, Transvaal, arrived in Barberton Camp on 16th August 1901, aged 17 years. He subsequently departed the camp on 18 October 1901, reason given as " joined National Scouts"
In the register notes it states " surrendered Bremersdorp July '01 after having been on commando 7 months"

It is interesting to note that the medal issued to 328 TPR S.W.P.J. BROODWYK, also the returned medal to 70 TPR S.W.P.J. BROODRYK, (same man??) has a listing in the same database.
Sarel Willem Petrus J. Broodryk. a 26 year old married white male farmer from Letchefield, Swaziland, along with his wife and two children arrived Barberton Camp and left on the same dates as Gert Christiaan to join the National Scouts. In his notes are stated " surrendered Bremersdorp 4 July 1901. Was on commando until last Feb"

I surmise they were related and it is known both surrendered July 1901 at Bremersdorp, whether they were there when the town was attacked and escaped or if they left prior to the attack is not known, Justin Davies has covered this incident in a previous post in this topic, excellent reading should you want to refresh your minds.

Just 159 medals claimed from the roll which has 1747 names on it, and medal in good condition.

There is a Gert Christiaan Broodryk buried in the Amsterdam Cemetery, which is near Ermelo and I assume it is the same person, the birth year on the headstone matches his age.

So I can say with much confidence that there was no Broodwyk, and that the man who joined the National Scouts is Gert Christiaan Broodryk.

Regards
Jon
Attachments:

Medals to "Hensoppers & Joiners" 5 years 11 months ago #58730

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180
Morning

I purchased an ABO to Burger S.W.P.J. Broodryk as his name came up on my previous post, and his name appears on the database as having joined the National Scouts.

When I received his Vorm B, I found that his son applied for a medal in 1955,.

The authorities replied that the medal had already been issued in January 1922
However there is another Vorm B in the file and I believe this is another S.W.P.J. Broodryk.

Delving into genealogical sites I have found that there appears to be two men with this name, one from Middleburg, the other from Ermelo,, the one from Ermelo, his details on the BCCD database matches those on the Genealogical site, so the authorities did issue a medal to the right Broodryk in 1922, and assumed that when the application from W.F.Broodryk, (the son of the late S.W.P.J.Broodryk) that there was only one with this name and the matter had been handled.
All gets confusing as the surname is spelt with various variations and also the christian names through generations keep on being repeated.

Regards
Jon
Attachments:

Medals to "Hensoppers & Joiners" 5 years 10 months ago #58801

• munroe
Dear Jon

I saw your post a few days and needed to check my list and ....

Attached are the pictures of the no bar QSA to 328 Tpr S W P J Broodwyk

Is this the same man as the ABO is awarded to?

Munroe

Medals to "Hensoppers & Joiners" 5 years 10 months ago #58802

• munroe
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.498 seconds