• Page:

TOPIC:

My favourite QSA 11 years 5 months ago #6040

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500

I was driving in my car yesterday and pondering which QSA is my favourite. It was quite a long car journey which is just as well as the question was not an easy one to answer! I think I came to the conclusion that I like different QSAs for different reasons; the clasps on the QSA, particular events, the naming, the unit and its history, the part the Boer War played in the recipient's career etc.

Because he was an American fighting for the British in South Africa and as he was awarded the combination of Elandslaagte and Wepener, I think the QSA to Dargan of the Scottish Horse is probably (only probably) my favourite.

I wondered if anyone else is able to assemble or rank their QSAs in order? If so, which is your enduring favourite?

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: My favourite QSA 11 years 5 months ago #6044

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good afternoon David,
I feel much the same as you as far as QSA's go, when I originally collected them in the 1990's pre centenary I just started by collecting all the clasps, then I focused on each of the set piece battles and then, I began to think about the regts/corps etc.
Which regts were worth having according to what they had actually done and also the particular combination of clasps on any one medal.
I do not have a particular favourite, they are all differant and were collected for differant reasons, I do however, very much like Natal.
Best regards Frank

Re: My favourite QSA 11 years 5 months ago #6052

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Frank,

I know what you mean. To rank them seems unreasonable as there is no single dimension on which this can be done. Perhaps we need a multi-dimentional spider diagram but then again perhaps not!

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: My favourite QSA 11 years 5 months ago #6059

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning David / Frank.....

I must say that I do have a favourite QSA infact a Pair of QSA's..... If I ever broke up my collection and had to decide what I am going to sell and what I am going to keep there would be no doubt that these would be the top of the list for keepers....

See thread: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...anadian-reunite#2785

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: My favourite QSA 11 years 5 months ago #6063

• ja1nsa
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Heh David

Easy one for me as I am new to all this and I have but 1 Boer war medal(s)... true it is DCM with 5 clasps ...

J.

Re: My favourite QSA 11 years 5 months ago #6067

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
David,
An interesting question.
Can I start by saying I like your photograph.
Being a newish collector of the QSA my collection of less than fifty is not vast but I think I know each one individually.
And to me that is the answer, it is not just the medal itself but the history behind it as well.
My favourite always seems to be the "next one" and the fascination of the research.
At the moment I am trying to collect all the clasps (only four to go) but no doubt I will be mislead by that next "favourite" medal that comes along!

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.446 seconds