Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Latest aquisition- 2751 Pritave D.W.Rose 6th Dragoon Guards 11 years 5 months ago #5788

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
My monthly visit to the Outwood medal fair at Wakefield today.
2751 Private David William Rose 6th Dragoon Guards.
David was born in Chelmsford Essex 1877
He attestated on 23rd April 1889 originally for the Royal Artillery..
His trade at the time was stated as "tailor"
His description is shown as Ht 5 foot 7 inches and weight 120 lbs with a fresh complexion, blue eyes and light brown hair.
In Jan 1900 he was transfered to the 6th Dragoons to which he spent the rest of his Army service.
It seems David was not a model soldier spending spells in prison for various offences, the most serious being "Refusing to obey an order" to which he received 37 days.
David spent most of his service "at home" apart from the 2 years and 150 days service in South Africa for which he earned his QSA/KSA with clasps Paardeburg,Relief of Kimberley and Transvaal.
He was discharged on the 13th May 1902 with a conduct of " very good"
His intended place of residence was Bootle in Liverpool.

Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Latest aquisition- 2751 Pritave D.W.Rose 6th Dragoon Guards 11 years 5 months ago #5791

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi Paul,
Another good honest pair here, I'm glad you found something worth buying, it does now seem to be getting harder these days!
Regards Frank

Re: Latest aquisition- 2751 Pritave D.W.Rose 6th Dragoon Guards 11 years 5 months ago #5796

• coldstream
Hello Frank,
Thanks for your comments.
Just a point, the QSA is engraved naming and the KSA impressed, is this normal with this Regt.
Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hi Paul,
Another good honest pair here, I'm glad you found something worth buying, it does now seem to be getting harder these days!
Regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Latest aquisition- 2751 Pritave D.W.Rose 6th Dragoon Guards 11 years 5 months ago #5797

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Evening Paul.....

I have a pair to the 6th DG.... They are also engraved and impressed so I am sure that it is the regimental practice, same as most cavalry are engraved.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Latest aquisition- 2751 Pritave D.W.Rose 6th Dragoon Guards 11 years 5 months ago #5799

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
I don't have anything at all to this regt, but as Mike points out, you do see numbers of cavalry medals engraved rather than impressed, so I really would not be concerned in any way.
Regards Frank

Re: Latest aquisition- 2751 Pritave D.W.Rose 6th Dragoon Guards 11 years 5 months ago #5804

• coldstream
Hello Mike,
Thank you for your help :)

Paul

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Evening Paul.....

I have a pair to the 6th DG.... They are also engraved and impressed so I am sure that it is the regimental practice, same as most cavalry are engraved.....

Mike

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.120 seconds