Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private 5816/5819 William Charles CLARK(E), 2 Buffs (East Kent Regiment). 11 years 7 months ago #5571

• BOX500
  • BOX500's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
I wonder if there is anyone prepared to help me out?

My website is here - kentfallen.com/

Many will be aware of this site and it's FREE content to everyone.

My Gt Grandfather was Private 5816 / 5819 WILLIAM CHARLES CLARK(E).

He served with 2nd Battalion, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment). Mounted Infantry Company (I think).

I understand the 2 Buffs, Mounted Infantry Company saw much hot combat throughout it's service in SA? The places I have already established he was visited these places -

Paardeberg Drift (bady wounded and shot)
Modder River
Driefontien (Abrahams Kraal)(fell off his horse).
Bloemfontien
Belfast?
Balmoral?
Springfontien
Stinkfontien
Kitcheners Kopje
Bakenlaagte (He was wounded very slightly here)
Pretoria
Kroonstad
Harrismith
Frankfort
Bothsberg
Tweefontien (his mate killed here)

I have both his medals - QSA with clasps - Driefontien, Relief of Kimberley, Transvaal and Paardeberg.

I understand these clasps were common for 2nd Battlaion Buffs?

I think he served in the Mounted Infantry Company of 2 Buffs?

Rumour has it he was shot during the Battle of Paardeberg and again during Battle of Poplars Grove.

His QSA gives his number 5816 but his KSA gives 5816 and spells his surname incorrectly with an E on the end! Looks like his may have been given the wrong medal? Someone else got his...

I have his diary which lists his movements in SA.

Apart from this I don't have very much. I tried to trace his service papers a few years ago without much success. I have a picture of him in WW1 wearing Buffs uniform so presumably, he went on to serve in WW1.

No trace of his service during WW1 and no medal rolls found. Looks like it may have been Territorial Force (2nd or 3rd line).

Bearing in mind my background (helping others through my own work on kentfallen), I thought someone may consider helping me a bit. My personal email is here - clarkneil(at)live.co.uk

Thanking you in anticipation....
NEIL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Private 5816/5819 William Charles CLARK(E), 2 Buffs (East Kent Regiment). 11 years 7 months ago #5572

• BOX500
My work on Canterbury Boer War Memorial is here - kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/CANTERBURY%20BOER.pdf

You will find many men on this memorial who are listed as shooting themselves by accident!!!!! I simply don't believe this could have been true. I would very much like to get to the truth of these deaths. Anyone interested in helping me?????

My guess is that the men simply turned their gun on themselves rather than be captured. Either that or there is something that the army tried to hide. I simply don't buy it that so many men shot themself by accident.

Over the years I have helped others with their own research. I'm hoping to find a real Boer War enthusiast who is prepared to help me?

Our website gets 20,000 visitors each month on average. You will see it's content is enormous. It's without doubt Kent's number one war memorials website. More importantly ALL the content is completely FREE for everyone.

Re: Private 5816/5819 William Charles CLARK(E), 2 Buffs (East Kent Regiment). 11 years 7 months ago #5573

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Good Afternoon Neil....

There is only one entry for a 5819 Pte. W. Clarke, The Buffs listed on the official casualty roll.....

He is listed as: MISSING at PHILLIOPOLIS, 02/08/01 and as Rejoined Mounted Infantry.....

There are no W. Clark's, with out the "E" listed on the casualty list as having served with the Buffs.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: BOX500

Re: Private 5816/5819 William Charles CLARK(E), 2 Buffs (East Kent Regiment). 11 years 7 months ago #5574

• BOX500
Mike,

Thanks for that. Must be him.....

His medals give to slightly different numbers - 5816 and 5819? One is spelt CLARK the other CLARKE. Is it likely to be a mess up?

PHILLIOPOLIS - Just searched Google without much luck. I presume this was a place named by the British probably known as something else now? If anyone can tell me where this is and what action took place there (where my Gt Grandfather was listed missing)?

I have a pic of him - have a look at the very end of the Canterbury transcription. He's a handsome chap (just like me). Some say he looks like GRAHAM NORTON!!!!!!!!!! Actually he does......

I'm giving serious consideration to returning there next year. Is anyone else wishing to join up with me? Looking to tour Modder River area mainly which is where he saw most action.

Re: Private 5816/5819 William Charles CLARK(E), 2 Buffs (East Kent Regiment). 11 years 7 months ago #5578

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Neil

Philippolis is a town in the southern Orange Free State.

Regards
Brett

Re: Private 5816/5819 William Charles CLARK(E), 2 Buffs (East Kent Regiment). 11 years 7 months ago #5582

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Neil,
A warm welcome to the forum, good luck with your future research.

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.466 seconds