TOPIC:

QSA - G F Wells - Western Light Horse and others 11 years 8 months ago #5059

• Percy
  • Percy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I am hoping to find out some more information about G F Wells, who was awarded the QSA with the Cape Colony clasp. In particular, I would be grateful for assistance deciphering the relevant entry on the nominal roll for the Western Light Horse, which I was delighted to see is available online - www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...-light-horse?start=1

My interest arises from the fact that I own a QSA awarded to G F Wells, which I inherited from my Grandfather. The medal is enscribed: 1991 PTE G. F. WELLS D. OF E. OWN V. R.

G F Wells is not a relation of mine, but I am nevertheless keen to find out more about his life and service during the Second Boer War. I would also be interested to know if he later served during 1914-1918.

To date, I have discovered the following:

George Frederick Wells

Awarded QSA (Cape Colony Clasp) and KSA (1901 and 1902 clasps)

Duke of Edinburgh’s Own Volunteer Rifles
Regimental Number: 1991
[Source: WO 100/246 (pages 96 and 219)]

2nd Batallion Duke of Edinburgh’s Own Volunteer Rifles (Colonial Light Horse)
Regimental Number: 947
[Source: WO 100/242 (pages 54 and 95)]

Western Light Horse
Regimental Number: 22

[Source: WO 100/367 (page 111) and Western Light Horse Nominal Roll]

Any further information (or corrections), or pointers to where I might find further information, about G F Wells would be very much appreciated. In particular, I would welcome assistance deciphering and understanding the information on the nominal roll for the Western Light Horse.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance provided,

Percy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: QSA - G F Wells - Western Light Horse and others 11 years 8 months ago #5060

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello and welcome to this forum,
You will find some attestation papers to the Western Light Horse in WO126/165 at the TNA Kew, the nominal roll entry is here on this site, but is a little hard to read, the original is also at Kew in WO127/22, it gives an address in Worthing on the left page and on the right, his rank, number, surname, forenames, date and place (Cape Town) of enlistment, cause of discharge (disbandment) and the date of discharge.
You will also find some DEOVR papers at Kew also in WO126/44, but , note, only some!
The QSA/KSA rolls are on line at ancestry.
Regards Frank
The following user(s) said Thank You: Percy

Re: QSA - G F Wells - Western Light Horse and others 11 years 8 months ago #5061

• Percy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Frank,

Thank you very much for the welcome and the helpful information. I am very impressed by the speed of your response!

I will definitely have to make a trip to Kew to check out those references.

In the meantime, I was wondering if you could help me make out what's written on the nominal roll for the Western Light Horse. On the left-hand side (in red), I can only make out "Worthing". If your more experienced eye can make out more, I'd be most grateful if you could let me know.

Also, staying with the nominal roll, do you know:
(a) what the number in red ("43027") above his regimental number ("22") refers to; and
(b) what the letters ("CF"?) to the right of his rank ("ORSM") refer to?

Many thanks again.

Best,

Percy

Re: QSA - G F Wells - Western Light Horse and others 11 years 8 months ago #5063

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Percy,

The text on the left says:

Previous service in the DEOVR and Colonial Light Horse. King's and Queens Medal sent care of Mrs (?) Rivington, Hollydale, Vanning Road, Worthing, England. King's medal issued.

22 was his original number in the WLH. As the unit expanded, the regimental numbers were reset and he was given a new number, 43027. Another possible explanation is that he rejoined the WLH after his time expired and he was issued with a new number.

ORSM stands for Orderly Room Sergeant Major.

CF is, I think, the abbreviation for CT (Cape Town), where he attested.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: QSA - G F Wells - Western Light Horse and others 11 years 8 months ago #5068

• Percy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
David,

Many thanks for your help.

Having done some further research, I think the address must be: Mrs Rivington, Hollydale, Tarring Road, Worthing, England.

The 1901 census indicates that the occupants of Tarring Road were:
Alexander Rivington (Head) - 61
Flora Rivington (Wife) - 51
Gwendolen Rivington (Daughter)
Catherine Holmes (Servant) - 26

The Rivingtons (Alexander, Flora and Gwendolen) were living at the same address in 1911, along with Claude Rivington (son) - 36. Claude Rivington's occupation is given as "unemployed secretary".

It seems that Claude Rivington may be the link to G F Wells, as he appears to have served in South Africa at the same time.

Claude Rivington served in the "C" (Eastern) Division of the South African Constabulary (Regimental Number 1972) and was entitled to the QSA (1901 and 1902 clasps) [Source: WO 100/272, pages 230 and 351]

I guess George Wells and Claude Rivington must have become friends in South Africa, and so George Wells asked for his medal to be sent to Claude Rivington's mother (Flora) - although that's just speculation.

Many thanks again for your help. Any other ideas for where I could find out any more about G F Wells would be much appreciated.

Best,

Percy

Re: QSA - G F Wells - Western Light Horse and others 11 years 8 months ago #5073

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello again,
I'm sorry, I just assumed from your original post in which you quote numbers and rank etc that you would have known, as David and I have said the "cf" is actually ct and is Cape Town.
You will see other letters when looking at this roll like K, Vybg, Pe and these are Kimberley, Vryburg and Port Elizabeth etc.
The Western Light Horse was an amalgam of Ashburners Light Horse, Dennison's Scouts and the Vryburg Scouts raised at Vryburg and disbanded there on the 30th of June 1902.
Regards Frank

[quote="Percy" post=5061

Also, staying with the nominal roll, do you know:
(a) what the number in red ("43027") above his regimental number ("22") refers to; and
(b) what the letters ("CF"?) to the right of his rank ("ORSM") refer to?

Many thanks again.

Best,

Percy[/quote]

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds