Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to Border Horse 11 years 8 months ago #5000

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank

I have not the slightest doubt that Colonials were short-changed when it came to the award of VC's in both the Zulu and Boer Wars. However, in the case of Elandslaagte the awards were probably fair. The battle brought 2 VC's and 3 DCM's to the Gordon Highlanders, 2 VC's and no DCM's to the Imperial Light Horse, and no gallantry decorations for the other regiments involved. I think it would have been inconceivable for the ILH to have been awarded more VC's than the Gordons, and the DCM wasn't an option for Brabant, an officer, so he lost out.

David's Elandslaagte book covers the 'honours and awards' of this battle in detail.

Ironically, Major Walter (Karri) Davies was directly responsible for Brabant's mortal wound at Long Valley, so, if he also failed to recommend him for a VC at Elandslaage, he would have had twice as much to regret about this man. I believe that Davies later turned down the award of a CMG, so perhaps this was a reflection of a guilty conscience.

There is a great deal in the archives of Australia on Karri Davies and his family, and he deserves to have a published biography.

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Border Horse 11 years 8 months ago #5012

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi Brett,
I agree completely regarding awards to the Colonials, not very fair! :angry:
As for a CMG for Davies, I'm not going to go there! :evil:
Given that the ILH were armed only with single shot Martini Metfords at Elandslaagte, I think they did very well indeed.
Kind regards Frank

Medals to Border Horse 4 years 5 months ago #66916

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4511

Picture courtesy of Corbitt's, October 2014

QSA (3) Cape Colony, Transvaal & Wittebergen (7043 Pte. W. G. Stanford, Border Horse). Some edge bruising for other medal contacts. Also his Transvaal War Medal known as the National Commemorative Medal with clasp 1899-1900 & 'Transvaal War' suspender named to Walter George Stanford, Border Horse with copy documents from Daily Mail.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to Border Horse 3 years 5 months ago #73083

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the next City Coins auction, November 2020

Near Hammonia, 28 May 1900

While Lt Boyes and 17 men of the Border Horse were out near Hammonia, they heard firing. They proceeded to the spot and were surrounded by about 80 Boers.

They fought for 3 hours and then, their horses having been captured and their ammunition nearly expended, Serjeant-Major Bull decided to surrender. Lieutenant Boyes was not near Serjeant-Major Bull at the time and Lieutenant Boyes was still in the hands of the enemy when the Court of Inquiry was held in September 1900.
WO 108/372 “SA Surrenders”.

QSA (3) CC, Tvl, Witt (Sjt.Maj. F.D. Hockin. Border Horse)

Hockin was one of the men taken prisoner in the Hammonia incident and subsequently released, more than probably minus horse, rifle and ammunition. He subsequently served as Captain & Adjutant in Ashburner’s Light Horse: on the unit’s supplementary QSA roll he is shown as not entitled to a KSA, but only to a SA’01 clasp. However, he seemed to have been issued with a KSA off the roll of the Field Intelligence Department, (fraudulently) claiming previous service in Rimington’s Guides (there is no trace of his name on the relevant Nominal or QSA roll).

The KSA roll of the FID has the following remarks against Hockin’s name: “This man was accused of embezzlement & fraud. He was not tried but released by the Civil Authorities at Johannesburg. His (un-convicted) crime was that of selling cattle, belonging to the Government”.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to Border Horse 3 years 3 weeks ago #75738

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Spink

QSA (3) Cape Colony, Transvaal, Wittebergen (32887 Pte. E. R. Nichols. Border Horse.)
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to Border Horse 2 years 3 months ago #80961

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Spink

QSA (3) Cape Colony, Transvaal, Wittebergen (Pte. O. A. Whitfield. Border Horse)

Also served DMR and GFC.

Wepener crossed through as is usual for Border Horse

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.722 seconds