Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bombadier Collar Maker Francis John Webster 11 years 8 months ago #4423

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
84342 Bombadier Collar Maker Francis John Webster R.F.A.
This was one of my earliest QSA purchases and it has always been one of my favourites.
I think the soldiers rank quite intriques me as most of my medals are for the rank of Private.
I also like the patination of the medal and the way the original ribbon has worn.
Here are a few details of Francis:
Born in London in 1876 he attested on the 4th of April 1891 for The Royal Field Artillery having spent time with the 6th Vol.Bn Middlesex Regt.
His trade is listed as Harness Maker which is in keeping with his eventual rank.
Francis is listed as 5ft 4" and weighing 124lbs grey eyes and brown hair.
He served in South Africa for 6 years from Dec 99 to Dec 05 he suffered an injury while on duty in July 91 which is listed as "Contusion right side of abdomen"
His record also states Arrived home on furlough on SS Gaika 13-12-03 and embarked to rejoin unit on SS Dunhom Castle 19-03-04
Francis was also awarded the KSA which sadly I am not in possesion of.
He was promoted to Staff Serg in 1904 and his total service lasted 20 years and 45 days
Francis was discharged on 18 May 1911

Thank you for looking

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Bombadier Collar Maker Francis John Webster 11 years 8 months ago #4424

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
That is a good honest Tugela Heights/Relief of Ladysmith QSA, thats where I started with my very first QSA and it has always been a favorite of mine too.
I've always been and always will be interested in the Natal campaign and still prefer it to all the others, the way the Boers invested Ladysmith and the desperate fighting to lift the siege!
Frank

Re: Bombadier Collar Maker Francis John Webster 11 years 8 months ago #4428

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Paul,

Excellent post and pictures. The images of the naming are particularly good. As someone who struggles with these, I can appreciate your work!

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Bombadier Collar Maker Francis John Webster 11 years 8 months ago #4429

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Paul

Thank you for showing an interesting QSA with an unusual rank. Like Frank, I enjoy anything to do with the Natal campaign, but especially the Ladysmith relief operations. I wonder what part your man took in the Battle of Colenso. Also, was he awarded a LS & GC medal?

Regards
Brett

Re: Bombadier Collar Maker Francis John Webster 11 years 8 months ago #4430

• coldstream
Frank

Thank your for your reply and comments as always.

Paul

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
That is a good honest Tugela Heights/Relief of Ladysmith QSA, thats where I started with my very first QSA and it has always been a favorite of mine too.
I've always been and always will be interested in the Natal campaign and still prefer it to all the others, the way the Boers invested Ladysmith and the desperate fighting to lift the siege!
Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Bombadier Collar Maker Francis John Webster 11 years 8 months ago #4431

• coldstream
David

Thank you for your reply and kind comments.
I bought my first good camera in my early teens and photography has been a hobby that has been underlying for a long time.
I find a decent camera using the correct settings, a tripod and patience to be the key LOL
Always here for advice!

Paul

djb wrote: Paul,

Excellent post and pictures. The images of the naming are particularly good. As someone who struggles with these, I can appreciate your work!

Best wishes
David

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.611 seconds