TOPIC:

Re: 5th Dragoon Guards - Private R Pickavance 11 years 9 months ago #4272

• Suzieq08
  • Suzieq08's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good Morning Paul

Firstly, thank you for your warm welcome to the Forum. I count myself indeed fortunate to have found this particular 'Boer' site and very much appreciate all the help I have received from the Members so far.

Thank you most sincerely for kindly researching my relative for me and for letting me know that he also received "A Reservist.
The Queen's South Africa (QSA) Medal Clasps: Orange Free State, Transvaal and NATAL This from a medal roll source on FMP."

I am extremely proud to know that he received these Clasps also and had a distinguished Military Career albeit, as a serving Private.

Thank you so much for sharing the above with me - it really is most welcomed.

Kind regards

Suzie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 5th Dragoon Guards - Private R Pickavance 11 years 9 months ago #4275

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

Suzieq08 wrote:
I am extremely proud to know that he received these Clasps also and had a distinguished Military Career albeit, as a serving Private.

Good Morning Suzie.....

There is nothing wrong with being a Private..... The career private in some cases was the backbone of a regiment.....

I have a group where the man enlisted in 1886, served in Sudan / Boer War / World War One and never got above the rank of Private and was discharged with Very Good Conduct in 1920.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: 5th Dragoon Guards - Private R Pickavance 11 years 9 months ago #4277

• Suzieq08
  • Suzieq08's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Gosh! that sounds very similar to my Robert's Military Career as he served his King and Country from the tender age of 17 up until his discharge after The Great War in 1920.

Please accept my sincerest of apologies, as I did not mean any disrespect to any Serving Personnel whose Rank was listed as a Private - I am indeed extremely proud of my relative and his Military achievements and as you rightly say Mike: "The career private in some cases was the backbone of a regiment......"

Thank you for sharing the above with me - I have a relative who was in the RAF (killed during Aug 1944 in WWII) and was served Posthumously the DFC in 1946, however, I am as proud of Robert as I am of Cousin Billy.

Yours sincerely

Suzie

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.465 seconds