Medals to the Australian Commonwealth Horse 1 year 11 months ago #82544

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500

Picture courtesy of Noble Numismatics

QSA (2) Transvaal, South Africa 1902 (627 Pte E.L.Were. Aust:Com:H.) Impressed.

27 Pte Eric Laurenny Were, 2nd Battalion, Australian Commonwealth Horse confirmed on nominal roll. Eric Were, was a boundary rider, age 23, born at Windsor, Victoria who had previous service in the Senior Cadets.

Sold for a hammer price of Au$800. Totals: £555. R10,800. Au$980. Can$920. US$730
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Australian Commonwealth Horse 1 year 9 months ago #83857

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
860 Pte. F.G. Gillespie 1st Bn Australian Commonwealth Horse.
Francis George Gillespie was born in Warwick, Queensland, on 18 May 1881.
He enlisted in Brisbane on 6 Jan 1902.
His home town was Swan Creek, Southern Downs Queensland and his occupation was Bush Hand.
For his service in South Africa he was awarded the Q.S.A. with clasps Cape Colony, Transvaal & South Africa 1902.
He died of natural causes in Brisbane on 13 Nov 1971, age 90 yrs.

Oddly enough I havn't been able to find the location of his grave in Brisbane or Swan Creek.
There are quite a few Gillespie's buried at Swan Creek.

This was a purchase at the Toowoomba Arms and Militaria Show from a well known New South Wales dealer.
It is also the medal that Trev is referring to in another post.

Cheers,

Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the Australian Commonwealth Horse 1 year 9 months ago #83858

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi Jim,

I have just done a quick search and might have found an answer to why you haven't been able to locate a grave for Private Francis George Gillespie. It appears that he/his family have agreed to donate his body to the School of Anatomy, University of Queensland. I would still imagine that the University must have some form of policy to intern the remains for either a burial or cremation when they have completed their lessons. I'll keep digging (no pun intended).

Trev
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Medals to the Australian Commonwealth Horse 1 year 9 months ago #83859

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi Jim,

I just had a look at the Biomedical Sciences Department website at the University of Queensland (UQ) with regards to their Body Donor Program and below are some of their frequently asked questions about donating bodies to science -

What happens to the body after it goes to the University?
The body is embalmed and used in an education program where students of the medical and health care professions learn about the normal structure of the human body. Some bodies are also available for the advanced education programs for health and medical professionals. At the end of the program the bodies are cremated and the ashes made available for the nominated next-of-kin.

Can I have a funeral?
The University requires the body to be delivered as soon as possible after death. However a funeral could be conducted on the day following death and the body then delivered to the University. Alternatively, the nominated next-of-kin could arrange a memorial service without the body at any time.

Is the body given back to the family after the University has finished with it?
No. At the completion of the education program the University arranges the cremation of the body. This does not involve the nominated next-of-kin. After the cremation, the crematorium will notify the nominated next-of-kin that the ashes are available for collection or disposal.

Not having much luck either in finding a final resting place for Private Gillespie, but I see that Francis' wife, Elizabeth May Gillespie (née Edwards) passed away in 1953, aged 67 and is buried at Ipswich General Cemetery, Ipswich, Queensland. I would like to think that the family has interred his ashes with his wife's grave but that is unfortunately a question that they can only answer.

Trev
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Medals to the Australian Commonwealth Horse 1 year 9 months ago #83860

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply. That is an option I hadn’t remotely thought of. I looked at Mount Thompson but there wasn’t an entry. I had been informed some time ago that if a person was cremated then he/she was noted as ashes scattered.

Thanks again,
Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Medals to the Australian Commonwealth Horse 1 year 8 months ago #84289

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
From the next Noble Numismatics auction.

QSA (2) Transvaal, South Africa 1902 (2291 Tpr E.Hearndon Aus:Com:H.) Impressed. Without ribbon.

Pte Edward Hearndon, Carlton, Vic, age 21yrs, served 4th Battalion, Aust Commonwealth Horse. Murray p321. Spelt as Hearnden on nominal roll.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.166 seconds