Spion Kop Question 2 years 6 months ago #79083

• Skye Blade
  • Skye Blade's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Just received the QSA of

2895 Pte Richard Bicknell Lancs Fus

Looking at his papers he arrived with main body of Regiment to South Africa December 1899 and was invalided to UK Jun 1900.

Is it safe to say he was present at Spion Kop as I believe all the battalion was used on the day?

Not sure if there are any rolls/ lists of actual participants (apart from casualties)

Regards

Wayne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Spion Kop Question 2 years 6 months ago #79086

• Ians1900
  • Thank you received: 193
Maybe not wise to assume that this man was present until you have done some thorough research, as some men must have been held in reserve. A regimental history may hold the answer, unless we have someone who has a good knowledge of this battle.

Spion Kop Question 2 years 6 months ago #79091

• Ians1900
I am reading the Spion Kop section of The War in South Africa available on this website and it speaks of eight companies being involved. I'm not certain, but I do believe that the Lancashire Fusiliers had a total of eight companies, so if this is correct, it may well indicate that all companies were involved in the battle.

Can anyone clarify this?

Spion Kop Question 2 years 6 months ago #79092

• Skye Blade
  • Skye Blade's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes all companies used on the attack was my understanding before the post.

Wanting someone to confirm that so really apart from a couple of runners etc at HQ at the bottom of the Kop it would be safe to assume he was present.

Clasps Rof L and THs only…… is this all the Lancs Fus entitlement upto his return to UK in May/June 1900?

Wayne

Spion Kop Question 2 years 6 months ago #79099

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi Wayne,

Welcome to the Anglo-Boer War forum. I have checked on your man on the medal and award roll (WO100/179) on Ancestry and it confirms that Private 2895 R. Bicknell of the 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers was issued the QSA with the Tugela Heights and Relief of Ladysmith clasps. The roll also makes mention in the remarks column, that he was Invalided on 04/05/00. Roll as follow -

I have also looked on the 'Boer War Casualty Roll' and I haven't been able to find any other information with regards to the reasoning behind him being Invalided.
Trev
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900

Spion Kop Question 2 years 6 months ago #79105

• Ians1900
Thank you Trev.

There you go Wayne, I think Trev has solved this. I think that this QSA clasp entitlement plus what is recorded about the eight companies of Lancashire Fusiliers backs up what you initially thought about this guy being present at the Battle of Spion Kop.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.302 seconds