• Page:

TOPIC:

Clive Harry Adolphus Wilson 2 years 7 months ago #78464

• Gordon21
  • Gordon21's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm trying to find information with regards to the above who was mentioned in despatches twice (10/09/1901 and 25/04/1902), was awarded the Queens medal with four clasps and the Kings medal with two clasps, and the DSO (27/09/1901). I'd particularly like to know the actions which resulted in these awards. Can anyone help me go about this please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clive Harry Adolphus Wilson 2 years 7 months ago #78467

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Gordon21
Welcome to the forum

Clive Harry Adolphus Wilson was an interesting character. There are quite a few details on line regarding his life. Ancestry has military details and information pertaining to his time after the ABW regarding his shipping business. Born in 1876 died aged 44. I'm sure there will be other contributors on this site that could also add information regarding your request.

He served in the Boer War as a Lieutenant with the 12th Imperial Yeomanry.  He was transferred to General Hamilton's staff before being placed with Damant's Horse. He was twice mentioned in despatches and was awarded the DSO. In December, 1901, he was injured, losing a finger on his right hand. Probably at the action
Near Tafel Kop, 20 December 1901

Attested on the 30th January 1900 as a private.
Before his promotion to a Lieutenant, he was a Corporal in Pagets Horse (As stated on his medal roll remarks)
His clasp entitlement - Johannesburg,  Diamond Hill, Wittebergen and Cape Colony.
2 medal rolls for his QSA confirm his clasps.
WO 100/ 299 Edenberg June 1901 ( Damants Horse)
WO 100/ 244 Capetown February 1903 pertaining to Damants Horse (Late Rimingtons Guides).

Medal roll for his KSA... WO 100 / 360 May 1903 41 Pall Mall (Damants Horse)

There are details on this site pertaining to Clive's regiments in which he served, which will give you an overview of time in South Africa. His DSO was probably awarded for his service during the campaign and for his time on Major General Hamilton's staff and possibly for conspicuous valour regarding his MID's (Hopefully the forum could shine some light on his actions regarding his DSO ?)

MID LG: 25th  April 1902, page: 2765. Source: General Kitchener.
2nd MID
8 March 1902. Re: General mentions.

His medals were sold in December 2020.  DSO , QSA & KSA plus a miniature group.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Clive Harry Adolphus Wilson 2 years 7 months ago #78468

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Gordon21
Your man was created a Companion of the DSO with a general citation: "Clive Wilson, Lt., 12th Bn., I.Y. in recognition of services in South Africa". He also served with Damant's Horse (Rimington's Guides) and earned the clasps Cape Colony, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill and Wittebergen. The DH roll is marginally noted "On staff of M/Gen. Bruce Hamilton" and "52nd Coy., I.Y. 13195". WO100/244. The Palmer casualty roll shows that he was slightly wounded near Tafel Kop on 20/12/1901 while serving with DH.
Lord Kitchener's despatch of 8/3/1902 says "Lt. Clive Wilson, marked gallantry" and lists several other men "all in the action of 20/12/1901". I invite you to have a look at the entry for Damant's Horse in the "Unit information" on this site to see what Stirling "The Colonials in South Africa" says about the action.
I have not looked on the IY roll and can do so later this day.
Regards
IL.
IL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, Gordon21

Clive Harry Adolphus Wilson 2 years 7 months ago #78470

• Dave F
Ref IL "52nd Coy., I.Y. 13195" Paget's Horse
Attestation Paper

C H A Wilson medals.

Kitcheners despatch 8th March 1902.

Information taken from his KSA medal roll.
Best regards,
Dave

Clive Harry Adolphus Wilson 2 years 7 months ago #78472

• Dave F
Excerpt from action reference Damant's Horse (Stirling)

Referring to De Wet's successful rushing of the camp of a Yeomanry battalion at Tweefontein, in the Harrismith district, in the early morning of 25th December 1901, Lord Kitchener said: "Another very determined attack was also made upon Lieutenant Colonel Damant's column in the vicinity of Tafel Kop, between Frankfort and Vrede. On the evening of the 19th December, this column, together with Colonel Rimington's troops, who had also moved from Heilbron to Frankfort, marched from the latter town towards Tafel Kop to cover the extension of the blockhouse line in that direction. They moved throughout the night by two parallel roads, some three miles apart, and to the north of the proposed line of blockhouses, and, after circling round Tafel Kop, were at daybreak in the vicinity of Bacchante Farm. Here a resolute attack was suddenly made by some 800 Boers, under General Wessels, upon Colonel Damant's advanced guard, who were deceived by the khaki disguise of the enemy, and their clever imitation of the formation usual with regular mounted troops. To complete the deception the enemy even fired volleys, as they approached Colonel Damant's men, in the general direction of some Boers who were escaping across the front of the two forces. This clever ruse enabled them to get sufficiently close to Colonel Damant's troops to anticipate them by a few yards in the occupation of the crest of a kopje which commanded the whole field, including the guns and the main body of our troops. Lieutenant Colonel Damant's men displayed the utmost gallantry, holding on to their inferior position so as to save the two guns which accompanied the advanced guard, and every officer and man, except four, of the leading troops was shot down before reinforcements, which were pushed forward from the main body and from Colonel Rimington's column directly firing commenced, could arrive upon the scene. The appearance of these reinforcements compelled the Boers to relinquish their attack, and they fled over the Wilge River, pursued for some miles by Colonel Rimington's troops. Since the date of this affair the troops of Colonels Rimington and Damant have continued to operate in the neighbourhood of Tafel Kop, where I am reinforcing them by two of the newly formed battalions of Royal Artillery Mounted Rifles, and by the Canadian Scouts under Major Ross". In his telegram of the 21st December Lord Kitchener said that the losses of the column were 2 officers and 20 men killed, and 3 officers and 17 men wounded. These turned out to be rather greater; the 39th Battery—one section—had 6 killed and 8 wounded. The losses of Damant's Horse were severe, but nothing like those of the 91st Company Imperial Yeomanry, which had 32 hit out of 40, and, in the words of Lord Kitchener, "sacrificed itself almost to a man to save Damant's guns". Lieutenant Colonel Damant was wounded in four places, Lieutenant Shand (Cameron Highlanders, attached Damant's Horse) was killed, Lieutenant C H A Wilson was wounded, 5 men were killed and 10 wounded.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon21

Clive Harry Adolphus Wilson 2 years 7 months ago #78475

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Dave
Thanks for posting Lt. Clive Wilson's IY papers. Clive Wilson's DSO was particularly well earned and the defence of the guns against overwhelming forces remains a classic. I would be very happy to have Lt. Wilson's trio in my collection!
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.922 seconds