• Page:

TOPIC:

Medals to the 2nd Dragoons Guards 3 years 4 months ago #73614

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
The 2nd Dragoon Guards served in South Africa from late 1901 to the end of hostilities.

From the City Coins auction, 27 November 2020

Leeuwkop / Boschmanskop, 1 April 1902

“In his despatch of 8th April 1902, Lord Kitchener says that Colonel Lawley sent out Colonel Fanshawe with three squadrons of the Queen’s Bays and 30 National Scouts to make a detour preparatory to co-operating with his own advance. At 3.15am Fanshawe rounded a farm, where several Boers were captured; he then went on and tried to surround a laager, but the enemy were on the alert and he “was received by a very heavy fire, and realising that he was in the presence of superior numbers, ordered a gradual retirement upon Leeuwkop. Close fighting then went on for several hours. The Bays, who were skilfully handled, retired steadily by alternate squadrons, whilst the Boers followed, pressing the withdrawal with the greatest determination and persistence.”

Leeuwkop was found to be in the enemy’s hands, and Fanshawe had to make for another ridge, “where he received the timely support of the 7th Hussars and Colonel Lawley’s guns.” The Boers then fell quickly back.

“In this affair, although the Bays were capably handled and displayed steadiness and gallantry in face of superior numbers, their losses were, I regret to say, heavy. Two squadron-leaders and 10 non-commissioned officers and men were killed, and 5 officers and 59 men were wounded.”
Stirling: British Regiments in South Africa 1899-1902.

QSA (5) CC, OFS, Tvl, SA01, SA02 (5204 Pte. W.J. Gibson. 2nd Drgn. Gds.)
Rim nicks, one severe.

Pte Gibson was severely wounded in the action.

QSA (5) CC, OFS, Tvl, SA01, SA02 (Capt. R D Herron, 2/ Drgn. Gds.)

Captain Herron, commanding ‘A’ Squadron, was killed during the retreat at the stage when they were in sight of Boschmanskop.

He was re-interred in Primrose Cemetery, Germiston.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the 2nd Dragoons Guards 3 years 2 months ago #74736

• gavmedals
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi, I am in the process of researching a group of 4, on behalf of a family member. The group consists of a QSA (no bar) (5096 Pte H. Goodall 2nd Dragoon Guards), 14-15 Star (Pte H Goodall), BWM (S/Sgt H Goodall), AVM (Bil)(Pte H Goodall) last three all to Cullinan's Horse. She has a photo of her father which I include for interest (I really enjoy these old photos):

Based on the Unit Information in the ABW Forum he received 5 clasps, (with the source indicated as being the QSA medal rolls) as indicated:

However when I go to the WO100/112 medal rolls it seems that he in fact did not receive any clasps, but rather it was Pte C. Goodall that received the clasps and is listed as deceased,

Is my interpretation of the above correct or did H Goodall in fact qualify for 5 clasps (CC, OFS, TVL, SA01, SA02)? Any advice / help to confirm either way would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Regards

Gavin
Regards

Gavin
Attachments:

Medals to the 2nd Dragoons Guards 3 years 2 months ago #74739

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1173

Hi Gavin
Looks like they were awarded the same clasps, however the dashes above the C Goodall might reference to a change. I would imagine an expert on reading these rolls will be able to comment further and provide more detail on the clasp entitlement. But looking at this list looks like H Goodall did receive his 5 clasps.

regards
Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: gavmedals

Medals to the 2nd Dragoons Guards 3 years 2 months ago #74741

• QSAMIKE
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1879
The Goodall's

Here from the Cavalry Roll.....

Goodall, A., 4667, Private, 2nd Dragoons, Cape Colony, OFS, Transvaal.
Goodall, C., 2691, Squadron Q.M. Sergeant, 14th Hussars, Paardeberg, Dreifontein, Johannesburg, Relief of Kimberley.
Goodall, C., 4899, Private, 2nd Dragoon Guards, Cape Colony, OFS, Transvaal, 1901, 1902. Danger Wound, Leeuwkop, 01/04/02. Died of Wounds, 04/04/02
Goodall, G., 4888, Private, 17th Lancers, Cape Colony, OFS, 1901, 1902. Initials 'W.E.' on E.C. Roll. Danger Wound, near Pom Pom Port, 26/04/02. Died 15/05/02
Goodall, H., 5096, Private, 2nd Dragoon Guards, Cape Colony, OFS, Transvaal, 1901, 1902. To 4th Prov. Regt. of Dragoons for Transfer to Army Reserve. 5 Clasps Returned

Goodall, J., 4566, Private, 4th Dragoon Guards, OFS, Transvaal, Elandslaagte, Defence of Ladysmith. Attached to 5th Dragoon Guards. One of 11 members of the 4th Dragoon Guards attached to the 5th Dragoon Guards in the Defence of Ladysmith. Only three "Elandslaagte" clasps were awarded to the 4th DG and six KSA's, the regiment not being officially employed in South Africa. Entitled to KSA, British War Medal and Victory medal for WW1 with A.S.C. (Medal Sold 20/11/99 - P 300.00)

Goodall, J., 4900, Private, 8th Hussars, OFS, Transvaal, 1901, 1902. Invalided

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: gavmedals

Medals to the 2nd Dragoons Guards 3 years 2 months ago #74750

• gavmedals
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi Dave / Mike

Firstly thank you both very much great info.

Dave which roll did you look at above please?

So if I read it correctly, H Goodall did in fact qualify for the 5 clasps and these were issued. However returned one reason being possibly due to him not being located?

Thank you very much again.
Regards

Gavin

Medals to the 2nd Dragoons Guards 3 years 2 months ago #74751

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1173
Hi Gavin
Roll was taken from Ancestry. Search H Goodall, 1 of 44 Goodall's .Two entries for 2nd Dragoons, your original WO 100/ 112 and the other I posted which unfortunately does not have a reference number on the sheet, but according to Ancestry is the same WO as your original. The same applies to C Goodall.
Cheers
Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, gavmedals

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.179 seconds