• Page:

TOPIC:

1012 Tpr S Bowden Steinaecker's Horse 3 years 6 months ago #71696

• jim51
  • jim51's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 104
Another recent purchase.
K.S.A., SA01.SA02.
Samuel Bowden doesn't appear to have any other service. His QSA (out there somewhere) should have the Trans. clasp.
He is mentioned in the Nom Roll of the excellent publication by Bill Woolmore.

Does any forum member know of the whereabouts of the QSA?

Cheers,

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1012 Tpr S Bowden Steinaecker's Horse 3 years 6 months ago #71703

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
That would certainly make a most pleasing pair, I wish you good luck and hope the QSA remains extant.

jim51 wrote: Another recent purchase.
K.S.A., SA01.SA02.
Samuel Bowden doesn't appear to have any other service. His QSA (out there somewhere) should have the Trans. clasp.
He is mentioned in the Nom Roll of the excellent publication by Bill Woolmore.

Does any forum member know of the whereabouts of the QSA?

Cheers,

Jim

1012 Tpr S Bowden Steinaecker's Horse 3 years 6 months ago #71705

• jim51
Thanks for the reply Frank.
I can only hope the QSA is out there and just as important it becomes available.
I have been collecting QSA's for about 16 years now and have yet to achieve a reunite. But I can only hope.
I have helped another forum member with a reunite so I suppose that partially counts.
Steinaecker's had quite a number of enlistments over the period it operated but it would be interesting to calculate the number of
QSA's that were named to the unit. Then taking into account the number that were noted as 'returned' it is possible that the number
named to Steinaecker's could be between 150- 200 actually out there.
Cheers,
Jim.

1012 Tpr S Bowden Steinaecker's Horse 3 years 6 months ago #71706

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Well, I hope you manage to find that QSA, the regiment remained in the field long after the rest of the SAMIF had been disbanded, into February 1903, simply because of it's area of operations , but, don't ignore those that are not named to Steinaeker's Horse, service with them is easily ascertained and you would end up missing out on some very good pairs.

1012 Tpr S Bowden Steinaecker's Horse 3 years 6 months ago #71707

• jim51
I have a couple of QSA’s to men who served in Steinaecker’s and had previous service. One of them is entitled to a KSA and he served in the Special Sqn. They definitely look as though they were a tough bunch, dealing with Boers, disease and wildlife.

1012 Tpr S Bowden Steinaecker's Horse 3 years 6 months ago #71793

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 742
Hi Jim,
Your comment about the numbers of QSAs named to Steinaecker's Horse is a thing which has intrigued me aswell! A project to find the figure would be a useful one.
For anyone interested in extant QSAs to SH, I can add a single example from my collection as follows :
1046 TROOPER JOHN EDWIN ROBERTS
John Edwin Roberts had no previous service recorded and he enlisted in SH at Nomahasha on 16th September 1900. He was discharged on 27th December 1900 at Koomati Port. As can be found with many of the other recruits in SH, his length of service was short at 103 days. Many were very much shorter than this.
He qualified for the QSA with the single clasp Transvaal. Very pleased to have his medal in my collection. He was not entitled to the KSA.
I have yet to further research Trooper Roberts. All of the above information comes from Bill Woolmer's book on SH, which I will also join you in recommending. It is a fascinating read with an excellent Appendix dealing with each man's biographical notes.
Definitely one of my favourite units.
Regards,
Steve

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds