Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to Loch's Horse 1 year 5 months ago #87055

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
I was following this with interest, having detected a sudden surge in Loch's H QSA's on the market. I have one or two so didn't bid for any of them but they all looked like they had been, as you say, in an old collection and were coming to market for the first time in many years.

I see that they were also released at different times - perhaps there are more from that source?

A deterrent to me was what seem to be exorbitant postal charges to get the medals from the US to the UK? I suppose if you bought more than one it would be a saving in that regard.

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Loch's Horse 1 year 5 months ago #87058

• Moranthorse1
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 754
30 CORPORAL RICHARD LAMPLOUGH HULSE: 'A' SQUADRON: LOCH'S HORSE

Richard Lamplough Hulse was born on January 15th 1867 in Withington, near Manchester, Lancashire, England.

He was the fourth son of a wealthy industrialist and engineer, William Wilson Hulse who designed and developed projects for the armaments industry, receiving numerous awards and commendations from his peers for his efforts. His mother was Jane Hulse.

The Census of 1871 finds Richard residing at The Grove, Burton Lane, Withington, Chorlton, Lancashire. The rather large household included: his parents, Joseph Whitworth Hulse (10), William Sykes Hulse (8), Ellen Hulse (7), Harold Hatton Hulse (1).
The family was supported by a number of servants indicating that the Hulse family were of no mean wealth.
Jane Bell (cook), Mary Butler, Hannah Peat, Hannah Beard, Eliza Tilson and Margaret Comy.

Now, this may seem an odd part of the story to show Richard's obituary, but alot of his further life can be uncovered therein. As you read through you will see my point.

From the "Manchester Courier" dated 30th December 1903, I quote:

"AN ECHO OF THE WAR
FUNERAL OF A MEMBER OF LOCKE'S HORSE"
"At the Manchester Southern Cemetery, yesterday, the interment took place of the remains of the late Mr. Richard Lamplough Hulse, fourth son of the late Mr. W. W. Hulse of Withington and Ordsall, Salford. Mr. R. L. Hulse was born in 1867, and educated at Uppingham School and Magdalen College, Oxford, following afterwards the profession of an engineer. Some years ago he went out to South Africa, commercially, and when the Matabele War broke out he took part in the fighting as a volunteer. Returning to England, he practiced as a mechanical engineer in London. When the war with the republics began he went to South Africa once more and volunteered in Locke's Horse, with which corps he saw some exciting service. On one occasion he was traveling by train when the Boers derailed it. He was dug out of the ruins hurt and unconscious, taken for dead, and placed in a mortuary. On recovering consciousness the horror of his surroundings gave him a severe mental shock, and this combined with his physical injuries, brought on a long illness, which ended fatally at Bournemouth last week. The body was brought by train yesterday to the Central Station, Manchester, and conveyed thence to the cemetery, the hearses being followed by coaches in which were the mourners. The party included the mother of the deceased, Mrs. W. W. Hulse of Cleeve Court, Worcestershire: his brothers, Captain H. H. Hulse of the 5th Royal Irish Lancers, who was with General Sir George White while in Ladysmith and Mr. Edward Hulse, his sister, Mrs. Douglas, whose husband, Major Douglas, died when about to return home from duty in South Africa: Mr. Alan Sykes, Mr. John Haffer, Mr. D. B. Beaver, and Mr. W. G. Pritchard. Among those who were present at the graveside were Mr. Alfred Holland, Mr. H. Turner Jones, Mr. H. Jephson, Mr. Joseph Swarbrick, Mr. Thomas Johnston, Mr. A. H. Miles worth, Mr. T. G. Hill, Mr. George Haworth, and Mrs. Burrows. A number of choice wreaths were sent by, Ernest D. Drabble, Mrs. Charles Drabble, Mr and Mrs. E. Pritchard, Mrs. H. Turner Jones, Mrs. W. Burns and Major and Mrs. Carpenter. The Reverend W. Burns, Rector of 88, Simon and Jude, conducted the service. Messrs Milne, and company, had charge of the arrangements."

I will now attempt to fill the gaps left in the obituary by expanding on each moment in his life with as much detail as I have to hand.

Richard certainly was upto the entry requirements for Loch's Horse, as he had served with the Mashonaland Mounted Police during the Matabele War, so one can confidently say that he could ride, shoot and knew his way around the veldt. Hence gaining a corporalship on attesting to LH.
For this service he was awarded the British South Africa Company medal bearing "Rhodesia 1896" to the obverse. I do not have this medal, and would very much like to reunite with his QSA if anyone knows of it's whereabouts I would really be grateful for any leads

On 27th July 1897, he was on the Register of Members of Engineers and said to be plying his chosen profession in the family business of Hulse and Company,
Ordsal Works, Regent Bridge, Salford, Manchester.

He attested to Loch's Horse on 10th February 1900 in London with the Regimental number 30 and the rank of Corporal.
Medal Roll WO100/258 confirms his entitlement to the QSA with clasps CAPE COLONY and ORANGE FREE STATE.

Corporal Hulse's QSA

Number, rank and name

Unit name re-impressed

QSA with catalogue card from previous collection giving dates and price paid. Perhaps this style of cataloguing will help to identify the collector?
I believe that the medal was previously sold at Christie's in August 1985.

The description of what happened to Richard during the train derailment and consequent horrifying experience of awakening amongst the dead and mutilated would test the strongest of men. However, when consulting the casualty lists of both Hayward (1982) and Watt (2000), I can find no record of Corporal Hulse, nor any other member of Loch's Horse being involved in a railway accident.
Would any of our learned forum be able to cast any light on this anomaly?

Notwithstanding, he returned to London and was discharged on the disbandment of Loch's Horse on 17th April 1901.

The 1901 Census records him as a 34 year old living at the family home with mother Jane at 99 Burton Road, Withington, Chorlton..
Hannah Beard remains loyal to the family and is now a cook, accompanied by Hannah Garnett (Parlour Maid), May Garnett (Housemaid) and Bertha Fox (Kitchen Maid).
One can imagine every whim of Richard and his mother would have been catered for with a ratio of 2:1 of domestic staff!

Sadly, tragedy was not far away with the death of Richard in Bournemouth on 23rd December 1903. If he was suffering from some form of mental illness, perhaps PTSD, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that he took his own life? I have not found evidence of this at the present time , and the family would certainly have kept it quiet from the public domain such would be the stigma if that were the case.

His final resting place he shares with his parents. The following simple inscription is to be found to the reverse of the family memorial of marble:

"RICHARD LAMPLOUGH HULSE
BORN JANUARY 15TH 1867
DIED AT BOURNEMOUTH
DECEMBER 23RD 1903."

Any further information would be most gratefully received.
Attachments:

Medals to Loch's Horse 1 year 5 months ago #87059

• Moranthorse1
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 754
Hi Rory,
Yes, the postal costs made me wince!
But the two I picked up have filled a gap I have long wanted to fill. An interesting unit, raised in the UK but classified as a colonial outfit.
When searching for examples and prices realized, I have noted QSAs to the unit at Spink hammering for as much as £380 for a non-casualty with the rank of Trooper!
The seller released two batches and it has been good to add the examples to this thread.
Cheers Steve

Medals to Loch's Horse 1 year 5 months ago #87062

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Hi Everyone......

I watched these as well and put in a bid on a couple but only half hearted as I already had one which is mentioned in this thread...... The prices were a surprise......

From my Catalogue:

GUY, Austen Nicholson

REG. NO.: 178
REGT: LOCH'S HORSE, "B" SQUADRON
BARS: CAPE COLONY, ORANGE FREE STATE, TRANSVAAL

DATE OF PURCHASE: 1990
PRICE AT TIME OF PURCHASE: $120.00 Can.

REMARKS / HISTORY: 1. PRISONER OF WAR AND RELEASED SEPTEMBER 18th, 1900

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Medals to Loch's Horse 1 year 5 months ago #87083

• jan808
  • Thank you received: 13
Dear All,
Agreed these are interesting medals and well done to those who secured them. From my (UK) perspective, I have been hit multiple times with import tax (at 20%) on eBay purchases from the US, which can take the shine off things! Also, the US postal service is beyond erratic - one medal was "in transit" for over 3 months and apparently went to China and back before it arrived with me. I had given up all hope of ever seeing it, so it is now a firm favourite!
Hoping your purchases Steve have zero drama in their delivery.
Cheers,
J
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Medals to Loch's Horse 1 year 5 months ago #87085

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

jan808 wrote: Dear All,
Agreed these are interesting medals and well done to those who secured them. From my (UK) perspective, I have been hit multiple times with import tax (at 20%) on eBay purchases from the US, which can take the shine off things! Also, the US postal service is beyond erratic - one medal was "in transit" for over 3 months and apparently went to China and back before it arrived with me. I had given up all hope of ever seeing it, so it is now a firm favourite!
Hoping your purchases Steve have zero drama in their delivery.
Cheers,
J

Good Morning J......

Here is something that I posted for another member but I think is worth repeating.....

I can understand what you mean..... I have had 3 shipments from the US and got them all within 7 days and 1 from Australia in 10 days but from UK out of 4 shipments 3 have been rec'd within 3 weeks but one is now in week six..... All of them have been sent registered..... I will not purchase from any seller who uses the ebay international shipping program where I have to pay Duty and Taxes in advance and Shipping costs Twice.....

If you use the Harmonized Tariff Schedule you do not have to pay duty on shipments to most countries in the world, I have been using this for over 12 years and had no problems (To and From: Canada, US, UK, Aust., NZ and Europe)..... There is a whole schedule that covers many items collectables of all kinds.....

The one I use is below Medals and Badges:

The applicable section of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule is under heading "HTS: 9705.00.0090" with an article description as follows: “Collections and collectors pieces of zoological, botanical, mineralogical, anatomical, historical, archaeological, paleontological, ethnographic or numismatic interest” and indicates that items under this category are duty free. The Customs agent who gave me this information told me to make sure that the customs' declaration on the package included the phrases "HTS: 9705.00.0090" and "Collectors pieces of numismatic interest."

This only covers duty any location who has to pay GST / VAT or its equivalent will still have to pay it but I can count on one hand the number of times I have been asked for it.....

Hope that this will help other collectors.....

Mike

and the second.....

I found the rest of the 9705 Codes....

HTS Number: 9705.00.00

Description: Collections and collectors' pieces of zoological, botanical, mineralogical, anatomical, historical, archaeological, palaeontological, ethnographic or numismatic interest.

Commodity Code

Description 9705 0000 10
Collectors’ pieces of wood

Description 9705 0000 20
Collectors’ pieces of silver or gold

Description 9705 0000 30
Collections and collectors' pieces of zoological, anatomical, historical, archaeological, palaeontological or ethnographic interest containing animal products

You can Google; "Harmonized Tariff Schedule" to see a lot more.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: jan808, Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 4.886 seconds