Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cape Colony bar 3 years 8 months ago #70731

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Yes, there is museum and certainly from memory, at least, an associated document archive in Croydon too, to be quite honest, yeomen generally were used to patrol and maintain the lines of communication within the Cape Colony, particularly after the second invasion, if you cannot get hold of a published regimental history, then I would perhaps also consult the NAM at some point in the future.
You mention the 3rd Sharpshooters, did Henry Coppock go on to subsequently serve within that regiment after his time in the 91st or are you simply using a grammatical link regarding the title?

Kathy re Coppock wrote: Frank, I had no idea that Hever had a military archive. I live near Tunbridge Wells, so not too far away once things open up again for research.

Rory, I reread your account about Mepstead and he was in the 92nd battalion, my grandfather was in the 91st. I know he was at Tafel Kop in the OFS, then later at Boschbult in Transvaal, but the precise service of the 91st (or the 23rd battalion IY 3rd Sharpshooters) is all very fuzzy prior to Tafel Kop. I think I've worked out that in Amery's index he refers to company numbers rather than battalion numbers. One has to be a bit of a detective.

I think that what I've gathered is that there was so much in the way of movement of troops and different engagements going on it was probably difficult to keep precise track of every detail. This may have to do for the time being.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cape Colony bar 3 years 8 months ago #70746

• Kathy re Coppock
  • Kathy re Coppock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2

Frank Kelley wrote: I would perhaps also consult the NAM at some point in the future.
You mention the 3rd Sharpshooters, did Henry Coppock go on to subsequently serve within that regiment after his time in the 91st or are you simply using a grammatical link regarding the title?

Would you please expand NAM for me?

I mentioned the 3rd Sharpshooters, because of the way the 23rd battalion is listed on this website. See attached screenshot.
Attachments:

Cape Colony bar 3 years 8 months ago #70748

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
The National Army Museum, Kathy.

www.nam.ac.uk/
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kathy re Coppock

Cape Colony bar 3 years 8 months ago #70749

• Frank Kelley
Okay, I see, well the reason I asked was that some members of the 91st Company 23rd Battalion IY did subsequently join B Squadron of the newly raised 3rd County of London Yeomanry upon their return from South Africa, it was a new regiment and part of the Home Service Imperial Yeomanry force, I simply wondered if he had done so.
I have to say that when I originally saw the superb photograph in your other thread, my thoughts were that he would have subsequently gone on and made a really bloody fine Hussar!

Kathy re Coppock wrote:

Would you please expand NAM for me?

I mentioned the 3rd Sharpshooters, because of the way the 23rd battalion is listed on this website. See attached screenshot.[/quote]

Cape Colony bar 3 years 8 months ago #70752

• Kathy re Coppock
  • Kathy re Coppock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2

Frank Kelley wrote: Okay, I see, well the reason I asked was that some members of the 91st Company 23rd Battalion IY did subsequently join B Squadron of the newly raised 3rd County of London Yeomanry upon their return from South Africa, it was a new regiment and part of the Home Service Imperial Yeomanry force, I simply wondered if he had done so.
I have to say that when I originally saw the superb photograph in your other thread, my thoughts were that he would have subsequently gone on and made a really bloody fine Hussar!

Thanks Frank. I accept your compliment most graciously! However, my grandfather was unable to complete his service in SA due to illness. He went down with severe enteric fever at the end of December 1901, as his records show, was shipped back to England arriving at Shorncliffe 20th March 1902 and discharged on 19th April "on his own request". I think that he wanted to regain his strength and get back to being a lighterman, probably having missed his time working on the Thames and messing around with boats. He went out as a corporal and he was NCO in charge of Mess 86 (sick mess) according to a slip of paper with a list of names and the diseases of those listed. I've been told that he was a kind man. After marrying my grandmother in 1907, they had 7 kids.

Cape Colony bar 3 years 8 months ago #70753

• Frank Kelley
Okay, as I said, I just wondered, the fact he was a junior NCO suggested to me that he might well have joined at some point, a lashing of enteric would be unlikely to keep a fellow like him down and of course, he could have been a Lighterman and a member of B Squadron at the same time, the Home Service Imperial Yeoman was simply a mounted version of a Militiaman, but, in all honesty, if he had been, I suspect you would have known, perhaps a photograph and a certificate or two might have survived as evidence, as well as knowledge within your family.

Kathy re Coppock wrote:

Thanks Frank. I accept your compliment most graciously! However, my grandfather was unable to complete his service in SA due to illness. He went down with severe enteric fever at the end of December 1901, as his records show, was shipped back to England arriving at Shorncliffe 20th March 1902 and discharged on 19th April "on his own request". I think that he wanted to regain his strength and get back to being a lighterman, probably having missed his time working on the Thames and messing around with boats. He went out as a corporal and he was NCO in charge of Mess 86 (sick mess) according to a slip of paper with a list of names and the diseases of those listed. I've been told that he was a kind man. After marrying my grandmother in 1907, they had 7 kids.[/quote]

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds