Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

South African Mounted Irregular Forces - help please. 3 years 9 months ago #69714

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2121
Does anyone have a copy of The South African Mounted Irregular Forces 1899-1902.by Neil C Smith?

I would appreciate a lookup please. I have a QSA to a J Zeederberg who served with first the C-in-C Bodyguard and then, from 1 July 1901 with SAMIF. I can't seem to trace anything about them on the net. What is strange to me is that Zeederberg who enrolled with no. 25170 with the C-in-C, retained that number when he went over to the SAMIF.

Were they a composite regiment? And if so, what action did they see. Zeederberg earned his CC clasp with them.

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

South African Mounted Irregular Forces - help please. 3 years 9 months ago #69753

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
I’ve got it somewhere hang on.

They have their own roll, but are also considered a composite unit. I think it’s coincidence that a group of units has the same name.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

South African Mounted Irregular Forces - help please. 3 years 9 months ago #69756

• rdarby
Turns out I don’t have it. I have Justin Davies booklet by the same name. He doesn’t explain what the unit SAMIF is and seems to just give a high level summary of a few of the irregular units such as Bethune’s. The booklet seems to confuse the SAMIF with the irregular forces in South Africa, or at least doesn’t explain how there could be a medal named to the SAMIF. He is a member here and can likely explain as I may be completely confused.

I’m happy to get a copy of Smith’s booklet, he lives South of me. But I think he just lists all of the irregular units in South Africa I don’t know if he actually talks about the unit which has a roll headed SAMIF.

South African Mounted Irregular Forces - help please. 3 years 9 months ago #69759

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2121
Thanks Ryan

Yes - this is definitely a field worthy of further research. Perhaps there is a more detailed explanation in an Army order somewhere which has not yet been brought to light.

Regards

Rory

South African Mounted Irregular Forces - help please. 3 years 9 months ago #69780

• rdarby
I’ve ordered the book will see what it says when it turns up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

South African Mounted Irregular Forces - help please. 3 years 9 months ago #69788

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Ryan,

It will be interesting to see what Smith says. At 18 pages, do you think it will be a reworking and expansion of this information? www.angloboerwar.com/forum/11-research/2...orces-metadata#62310
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.383 seconds