Medals to the Queenstown Rifle Volunteers 3 years 9 months ago #69705

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
This Queenstown unit was raised in 1860. Tylden reports how they were:

Raised on 20th April 1860, and disbanded on 30th September 1880, with a strength of five officers and 80 men. Served in the Ninth Kaffir War under Capt. F. Jones, and sent a strong contingent to Morosi's Mountain in 1879. Re-raised in 1883, and in 1891 were 140 strong. Seventy nine of all ranks served in the Langberg Campaign of 1897, and in 1899 the strength was 200, rising to 482 during the Boer War. During the war the M.I. Company saw active service with the Colonial Division, the infantry serving on L. of C. until the close of hostilities. The strength in 1903 was 106, and in 1913 the Q.R.V. lost their identity, being merged with the First City, to form the First Eastern Rifles, to-day the First City. The corps carried a King's Colour and originally wore grey, changing in 1890 to scarlet with white facings and helmet, with khaki and slouch hat for field service. The badge is the monogram with Semper Paratus and the Crown above.

There are over 500 names (including duplicates) on the unit page.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Queenstown Rifle Volunteers 3 years 9 months ago #69706

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

DCM VR (Pte., Queenstown Vols.), initials given as ‘P. P.’;
QSA (2) Cape Colony, Wittebergen (450 Pte., Queensland R.V. (sic));
1914-15 Star (Lt., Brands F.S. Rfls.);
British War and Bilingual Victory Medals (Lt.);
Africa Service Medal 1939-45 (N.R.V. P. G. Stillwell);
Coronation 1902, bronze

DCM London Gazette 19 April 1901.

Percy George Stillwell was born in the Cape Province in 1880. In later years he farmed at Foxhill in Ermelo. During the Boer war he served with the Queenstown Rifle Volunteers. Stillwell was one of eight men of the unit to be awarded the DCM for the capture of General Olivier and 25 men after Olivier had attacked Winburg on 26 August 1900.

An account of the action, taken from After Pretoria: The Guerilla War reads: ‘At dawn of the 26th all were awakened by the rattle of rifles and the boom of guns. Olivier and his men were audaciously attempting to rush the town. After two hours heavy firing the Boers were repulsed, and the mounted men among the British were ordered to follow them up. The Queenstown Volunteers pressed close on the enemey’s extreme left. Sladdin .... with seven others found himself, in the heat of the chase, a long way in advance of the British and right in the midst of the enemy. Reaching a small eminence, this little band halted there, when one after another burghers rode up to them, taking them for Boers, and were compelled by their levelled rifles to surrender. “Among the first we took” says Sladdin, “were General Olivier and his three sons. We had captured 24 prisoners by now, and they were being taken over the eminence to a kraal on the other side, where they were dismounted and sent on on foot. I was riding up in the rear, when I turned round and saw another man coming towards me. I rode towards him, and ordered him to give up his gun. He said he was dammed if he would. He had his rifle loaded, but was uncertain whether to fire or not. The instant I saw him hesitate he was lost, for I was only a couple of yards from him, and I dug the spurs into my horse, bounded on to him, and caught the muzzle of his rifle in my hand. At the same time I called to one of our fellows to shoot him.... As soon as he had been secured, the captors returned to the summit of the kopje, and were startled to see 200 Boers galloping towards them. There were now only five of the British left, as two messengers had been despatched to beg assistance. But these five put on a bold face, and opened a hot magazine fire. The Boers were so surprised at this unexpected shower of bullets that they bolted incontinently. Three were killed, the rest made good their escape. As for the Queenstown Volunteers, they brought their prisoners back in safety to the British lines, and were received as heroes. They deserved all the credit they obtained, as their pluck and presence of mind were extraordinary’.

During the Great War he served as a Lieutenant with the 5th Mounted Brigade in Southwest Africa, and in the Second World War was with the National Reserve Volunteers. Stillwell died in Pretoria on 15 May 1951 after a distinguished military career spanning three wars.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Queenstown Rifle Volunteers 3 years 9 months ago #69707

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Army Order 163 of 1901 lists the 8 recipients of the DCM.

Queenstown Volunteers

Serjeant J. A. Temlett
Corporal F. Hayes
Private P. Barton
Private G. Bourchier
Private C. Currie
Private T. H. Niland
Private W. H. Sladdin
Private P. P. Stilwell
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Queenstown Rifle Volunteers 3 years 9 months ago #69708

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

CMG b.b;
Egypt (2) El-Teb, The Nile 1884-85 (D.A.C. Genl. H. L. Hallewell, C. & T. Dept.);
QSA (2) Cape Colony, Wittebergen (Major H. A. Hallewell, CMG, Q’town. R.V.);
Khedive’s Star 1884, unnamed,

Henry Lonsdale Hallewell was born on 3 October 1852, the son of Colonel Edmund Gilling Hallewell, 28th Regiment. As a Sandhurst Cadet he was the recipient of a Royal Humane Society Medal in bronze, awarded for a rescue made on 28 May 1871 at Knaresborough, Yorkshire (R.H.S. Case No. 18724) [Medal not included in lot]. He served in the Bengal Famine Relief of 1874 and was mentioned in the Order of the Army of India. As a Deputy Assistant Commissary General in the Commissariat and Transport Corps, he served in the Egypt and Sudan Campaign of 1884-85, being present at the battle of El-Teb. He later served in the operations in Zululand 1888. During the Second Boer War he served as a Major in the Queenstown Rifle Volunteers and was awarded the CMG in 1900 and mentioned in despatches (LG 16 April 1901). Latterly living at The Holt, Alverstoke, Hampshire; he died on 23 June 1908.

Sold with two books: Italienische Krieg vom 1859, by Rustow, the front cover bearing the Royal Crest and inscription in gilt, ‘Royal Military College presented for Attention to, and Progress in, the Study of German’; the inside front cover with paper label, ‘Presented to Gentleman Cadet Henry L. Hallewell, for attention to, and progress in, The Study of German, Decr. 1870’, front cover detached; also The Pilgrim’s Progress, by John Bunyan, this inscribed inside, ‘Sophia Lonsdale Hallewell from G.P.H. xx. 1844’, both in original covers, both showing signs of wear.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Queenstown Rifle Volunteers 3 years 9 months ago #69709

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

SAGS (1) 1879 (Corpl. C. M. Mallett. Queenstown Vol: R. Corps.) in its named card box of issue;
CGHGSM (1) Transkei (Lieut. C. M. Mallett. Webster’s Rov.);
QSA (1) Cape Colony (Lieut. C. M. Mallett. Qnstwn. R.V.).

33 ‘1879’ clasps issued to the Queenstown Volunteer Rifle Corps.
10 Cape G.S. medals issued to Webster’s Rovers, of which unit Mallett was second-in-command.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Queenstown Rifle Volunteers 3 years 9 months ago #69710

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (2) Cape Colony, Wittebergen (643 Pte. D. Boyce. Queenstown R.V.)

DNW July 2018. Hammer price of £95.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.726 seconds