Medals to the Rhodesia Regiment 3 years 4 months ago #73125

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
From the next City Coins auction, November 2020

Klipdrift, 20 August 1900

“Paget in the afternoon followed the enemy along the northern road east of the railway, leaving half a battalion of the West Riding regiment and two guns at Hamanskraal. Baden-Powell’s force was on the right across the Pienaar’s river. Two squadrons of the Rhodesia regiment which covered his advance came sud-denly upon a party of 100 mounted Boers of the Waterberg commando, which had been detailed by Steenkamp to work round Paget’s right flank. Both sides alike were completely surprised. A fight ensued, in which the Rhodesia regiment lost one officer and four men killed, and two officers and six men wounded.

Upon reinforcements… the enemy were driven off, losing nine killed and ten wounded”.
Official History, Vol III, p366-7.

“After Elands River, the Rhodesian Regiment and Volunteers operated east of Rustenburg for a further short period before being disbanded in November 1900, but sadly not before five men of the Rhodesia Regiment were killed in action at Klipdrift.

On 20 August 1900, Lt Colonel John Spreckley of ‘E’ Squadron and his party were surrounded by Boers, who, being dressed in khaki, were first taken for friends. When the mistake was discovered and Spreckley and his party were called upon to surrender, he replied, “Never give in to them, lads” and was immediately killed.

By his death, Rhodesia lost one of its best-known and most popular men.”

QSA (2) RoM, Tvl (Tpr. C.J. Buchanan. Rhodesia Regt.)

Calvert James Buchanan enlisted in “A” Squadron of the Rhodesia Regiment on 15 February 1900. He was wounded in the Klipdrift engagement and was discharged on completion of service on 15 October 1900. His 2-clasp QSA was a late issue: May 1908.

He made a subsequent enquiry about his possible entitlement to the Rhodesia clasp but nothing seems to have come of the query.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Rhodesia Regiment 2 years 4 months ago #79711

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (5) Rhodesia, Relief of Mafeking, Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 (573 Tpr: J. Buckley. Rhodesia Regt.)

Sold for a hammer price of £650. Totals (inc VAT for UK only): £837. R16,500. Au$1,470. Can$1,350. US$1,090
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jim51

Medals to the Rhodesia Regiment 2 years 4 months ago #79725

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
A nice medal. I looked at it and the reserve put me off. Is there any reason why the price? Looking at the medal rolls they don't fit into the 'rare' or even 'scarce' bracket.
I don't have an example to the Rhodesia Regiment with that combination of clasps so it appears that I will have to wait somewhat longer to fill that gap if the medals continue to fetch those prices.
Jim

Medals to the Rhodesia Regiment 2 years 4 months ago #79737

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I would agree with you, Jim.

I have counted 3,058 RoM clasps and 1,261 of these are joined with the Rhodesia clasp. 356 of these to the Rhodesia Regiment.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: jim51

Medals to the Rhodesia Regiment 1 year 10 months ago #83221

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Woolley & Wallis

BSACM reverse Rhodesia (0) (TPR JOHN BARRIE, BULA. FLD FCE), officially engraved;
QSA (1) Rhodesia (20 TPR: J. BARRIE. RHODESIA REGT), impressed
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Rhodesia Regiment 1 year 5 months ago #86361

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the City Coins auction, 4 November 2022

QSA (3) Rhodesia, Relief of Mafeking, Transvaal (350 Tpr. A. H. Wilson. Rhodesia Regt)
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.513 seconds