Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2nd dragoon medal roll list 4 years 6 months ago #66139

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

djb wrote: Imperial1,

You can pay for the research services of sites like casus belli or you can search this site for free. There is a full roll for the Scots Greys on the link Mike provided. You can also search for partial regimental numbers eg 35??.

Learn something every day..... Did not realize that you could search a partial number with the ?? ……
Thanks

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2nd dragoon medal roll list 4 years 6 months ago #66140

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Mike,

The search option will search for question marks if you were to enter 35?? so you can partial match by entering 35
Dr David Biggins

2nd dragoon medal roll list 4 years 6 months ago #66155

• Imperial1!!
  • Imperial1!!'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello, After further research and careful inspection with different lighting and jeweler magnifying glasses I was able to make out the numbers 3543, a letter P in the ranks place, the a letter F. and for the last name a letter (M) and last two letters (N) and (G). 2nd Dragoons was not damaged or erased. I believe I am in possession of his medal. Would anyone know what clasps he was eligible for?Also I do not know why would someone tried to erase his name. FYI, his medal was used for some sort of necklace.
Thanks for his backstory. My family and I are very grateful.
Imperial 1

2nd dragoon medal roll list 4 years 6 months ago #66156

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
IMPERIAL..... Hope that this is of some help..... Mike

FROM THE CAVALRY LIST.....

Melling, F., 3543, Private, 2nd Dragoons, Relief of Kimberley, OFS, Transvaal, 1901. Missing, Uitval Nek, 11/07/00. Released. Invalided

FROM FIND MY PAST

First name(s) F
Last name Melling
Service number 3543
Rank Private
Regiment 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys)
Literary references The Times Digital Archive 19000830;0922
Biography
-
Notes
QSA Clasps: RoK,OFS,T,SA01
Event detail Prisoner Of War on 11/07/1900 at Zilikats Nek (Official casualty roll location: Silikats Nek)
Event unit 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys)
Event source SAFF
Gazetteer

[2526: 2540-2753] a farm in the South African Republic (Brits district; North West), 30 km north-west of Pretoria, which derives its name from a pass in the Magaliesberg said to have been used by Mzilikazi Khumalo. Variants: Zilkatsnek (used on the 1: 250,000 map); Silkaatsnek (Afrikaans spelling used by Breytenbach); Mosilikatse Nek (used in Victoria Cross citation and on map in Wilson III); Nitral's Nek (used in Wilson II), Uitval Nek (used in Wilson III; Uitval is the name of a farm to the south of Zilikatsnek farm); Silikaats Nek, Silkaats Nek (CR). The pass was occupied by Col R.S.S. Baden-Powell's force on 2 July 1900 with two squadrons of the Rhodesian regiment and two Royal Canadian Artillery guns. They were relieved by a squadron of the 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys) under Maj H.J. Scobell with two guns of 'O' battery, Royal Horse Artillery, and then on 10 July by five companies of the 2nd The Lincolnshire regiment under Col H.R. Roberts, but remained that night with the infantry. At dawn on the following morning the troops were fired on from two unoccupied peaks above the pass. The burghers led by Asst Cmdt-Gen J.H. de la Rey charged the guns and captured them and by late afternoon had taken the pass. The squadron of Scots Greys together with the commanding officer, adjutant and 84 men of the Lincolnshire regiment, were taken prisoner; other British losses were 24 killed and 44 wounded. Marching from Pretoria* to Rustenburg*, Lt-Gen I.S.M. Hamilton's force attacked a commando under Cmdt Coetzee, West Pretoria commando, occupying the pass on 2 August, 1900. The infantry attacked from the south and Brig-Gen G.T. Mahon's cavalry brigade advanced from the north. Caught in a pincer movement the burghers retreated leaving several waggons behind; among those killed was Coetzee. For gallantry during this action, Pte WJ House, 2nd Princess Charlotte of Wales's (Royal Berkshire) regiment, was awarded the Victoria Cross. HMG III pp.236, 238-240, 314 and 336-338 (map no.38); Times IV pp.350-354, 356 and 360-361 (map of the Transvaal in the end pocket); Breytenbach VI pp.256-261 (not mapped); Wilson II pp.693-696 (Nitral's Nek) (map on p.692), III p.95 (Uitval Nek) (map on p.65); Russell pp54-58.

Second event detail Released on 05/09/1900 at Nooitgedacht
Second event unit 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys)
Second event source
TDA
Second gazetter

[2530: 2537-3030] a farm and station in the South African Republic (Waterval Boven district; Mpumalanga), 16 km east of Waterval Onder on the Delagoa Bay railway line. Variant: Airlie Estates (name changed about 1904 after Lt-Col Lord Airlie, (12th Prince of Wales's Royal) Lancers, who was killed on 11 June 1900 in the action at Diamond Hill* (Donkerhoek*) and as marked on 1: 250,000 map); Airlie (name of station and post office since 1904). In June 1900, after the fall of Pretoria, the government of the Republic established a prisoner-of war camp there. With the exception of 47 senior officers and men who were taken to Barberton*, some 1,700 British prisoners were freed by Veg-Gen B.J. Viljoen on 13 August 1900 because of the bad conditions in the camp and they made their way to the British lines at Waterval Onder*. The camp was eventually taken by the British on 30 August. HMG III pp.101, 404, (map no.49); Times IV pp.283 and 457-458; Wilson II, pp.661 and 663; Barnard (Laeveld) p.113; Bornmann p.198.

Country Great Britain
Record set Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902
Category Military Service & Conflict
Subcategory Boer Wars
Collections from Great Britain, UK None
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWB, Imperial1!!

2nd dragoon medal roll list 4 years 6 months ago #66158

• Imperial1!!
  • Imperial1!!'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Thank you for your help and expertise. Great History to pass on and it brings him,his efforts and sacrifices all to life.
Again my family and I thank you .
Regards
Imperial1

2nd dragoon medal roll list 4 years 6 months ago #66160

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
That is a great shame, but, whilst the condition is disappointing, I think if it were mine, I would have it reconstituted as a medal.

Imperial1!! wrote: Hello, After further research and careful inspection with different lighting and jeweler magnifying glasses I was able to make out the numbers 3543, a letter P in the ranks place, the a letter F. and for the last name a letter (M) and last two letters (N) and (G). 2nd Dragoons was not damaged or erased. I believe I am in possession of his medal. Would anyone know what clasps he was eligible for?Also I do not know why would someone tried to erase his name. FYI, his medal was used for some sort of necklace.
Thanks for his backstory. My family and I are very grateful.
Imperial 1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.413 seconds