Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 3 years 5 months ago #72899

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
From the next City Coins auction, November 2020

Picture courtesy of City Coins

Two squadrons of the Protectorate Regiment, supported by an armoured train and the Bechuanaland Rifles, were ordered to attack the enemy’s works from the left flank under Major Godley, while three guns and a Maxim prepared the way from the right front of the work. On pressing home the attack a heavy fire killed or wounded most of the officers and leading troops. These succeeded in gaining the parapet, but the work was found to have been strongly roofed in and so closed as to be impregnable. The British losses were this time very serious. Captain R. J. Vernon, Captain H. C. Sandford, Lieutenant H. P. Paton, and 21 non-commissioned officers and men were killed, Captain FitzClarence and 22 men wounded, and 3 missing.

Colonel Baden-Powell said: “If blame for this reverse falls on any one it should fall on myself, as everybody concerned did their part of the work thoroughly well and exactly in accordance with the orders I had issued. Both officers and men worked with splendid courage and spirit.” “The Colonials in South Africa 1899-1902” refers.

BSACM reverse Mashonaland 1897 (586 Troopr. S. Hempseed. B.S.A. Police);
QSA (1) DoM (64 Tpr. S. Hempseed. Protectorate Regt.)

First with rim dent; second officially re-impressed.

Samuel Hempseed from Dunfermline, Scotland was wounded on 26 May 1897 at Soswe’s Kraal, Marandellas while serving with the BSAPolice.

He served in ‘C’ Squadron of the Protectorate Regiment during the Siege of Mafeking and died of wounds on 27 December 1899, the day following the costly action fought at Game Tree Hill.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 3 years 4 months ago #73374

• goose
  • Thank you received: 30
Another acquisition to my collection - never had a Defense of Mafeking QSA before so very happy with this one. QSA to Number 76 Pte Pieter Marais, Protectorate Regiment.
I found him on the Nominal roll but haven't managed to find his other clasp as yet. Not sure of the prices of these medals but I believe I got a real bargain. Sometimes it pays to deal directly with individuals and you then cut out all the other fees and overheads.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 3 years 4 months ago #73377

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Goose,

From the forthcoming Defence of Mafeking book.

QSA (3) OFS DoM Tr

Pieter Marais. Enlisted in the PRFF 21 August 1899 and posted to C Squadron. Age 25. Nationality: Colonial. Trade: Clerk. NOK: Cousin, Cape Town. Discharged 27 October 1900. Character very good.

No other service traced.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 3 years 4 months ago #73378

• goose
  • Thank you received: 30
Many thanks. At least we know this medal is still around. Regards.

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 2 years 10 months ago #76687

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Colonel Hore and men of the Protectorate Regiment in Mafeking

Source: ILN 11 November 1899
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 2 years 8 months ago #77742

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Officers of the Protectorate Regiment, taken at Ramathlabama Camp, before the siege

Back row, left to right: Lieutenant Hellawell; Captain Wilson, 60th Regiment; Captain Vernon; Major Baillie, 4th Hussars; Captain Sandford, ISC; Lord C Bentinck, 9th Lancers; Major Anderson RAMC; Lieutenant Smith, AVD

Seated, left to right: Lieutenant Brady; Lieutenant Nesbitt; Captain Fitzclarence; Colonel Baden-Powell, 5th Dragoons; Lieutenant Colonel Hore, 80th Regiment; Lieutenant Colonel Vyvyan, Buffs

On the ground: Major Godley, RDF; Lieutenant Swinburne; Lieutenant Holden, Derbyshire Yeomanry

Source: Taylor's Souvenir of the Siege of Mafeking
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: goose, gavmedals

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.242 seconds