• Thank you received: 4513

Picture courtesy of DNW

OBE (2nd type);
QSA (2) CC OFS (Lieut. H. E. Whaley, Coldstream Gds:);
KSA (2) (Lieut. H. E. Whaley. Coldstream. Gds.);
1914-15 Star (Lieut. H. E. Whaley. R.F.A.);
BWM & VM (Major H. E. Whaley.);
Defence Medal.

OBE London Gazette 3 June 1955 ‘For public services in Rutland’.

Herbert Egerton Whaley was the son of Major C. H. Whaley, and was born in Taplow, Buckinghamshire, in July 1881. He was commissioned Second Lieutenant in the 4th Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in January 1900. He initially served with the Regiment in South Africa, before transferring to the Coldstream Guards as a Lieutenant in May 1901.

Whaley was appointed a Sheriff of Rutland in November 1914. He initially served during the Great War with the Royal Field Artillery in the French theatre of war from March 1915. Whaley subsequently advanced to Major and returned for service with the Coldstream Guards (M.I.D.). He was appointed a Deputy Lieutenant of Rutland in 1944, Vice Lieutenant in 1949, and High Sheriff in 1951.

He died in February 1962, and is buried in St. Mary’s Churchyard, Ashwell.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Coldstream Guards 5 years 1 week ago #63239

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think, for me at least, as a collector, in the case of all three original regiments within the Guards Brigade in 1899, including the Coldstream, I would certainly much rather have a good campaign pair, with the usual eight clasps for service on the western front until Vereeniging.

Medals to the Coldstream Guards 4 years 11 months ago #63777

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Pictures courtesy of Dominic Winter

QSA (2) CC SA02 (Lieut: Visct: T.U.C. Northland. Coldstream Guards.),
1914 Star (Lieut: Viscount Northland. C. Gds.),
British War Medal (Capt. Viscount Northland.)

QSA dress miniature award
Great War bronze Memorial Plaque (Thomas Uchter Caulfield Viscount Northland),

Viscount Thomas Caulfield Knox (1882-1915) was the son of Uchter John Mark Knox, 5th Earl of Ranfurly and Hon. Lord Northland was born in Dungannon, Northern Ireland and lived at Northland House, Dungannon. He was educated at Eton and then at the Military College Sandhurst. Lord Northland joined the Coldstream Guards in 1900 and served in South Africa fighting the Boers. He acted as Aide-de-Camp to his father who was the Governor of New Zealand (1897-1904). He rengaged for service with the regiment on the outbreak of WWI (Captain). He took a very active interest in the Ulster Volunteer Force and was a most enthusiastic and popular officer. He was chiefly instrumental in organising and training the 4th (Dungannon) Battalion of the Tyrone Regiment (U.V.F.) which numbered 2500 men for which Lord Northland was the commanding officer of the battalion. He was also an enthusiastic Orange man, and was elected the Deputy Grand Master of the County Tyrone Grand Orange Lodge and District Master of Killyman District Orange Lodge. Lord Northland was serving with the 2nd Battalion at Cuinchy, near La Bassee on 1 February 1915 when he was killed in action having been shot in the head by a sniper and died immediately. A memorial service was held in Dungannon with all shops and businesses being closed for the occasion. Lord Northland is buried in Cuinchy Communal Cemetery, France. (A photo of his grave included in the lot).

Extracts from his diary

28 September 1914 "When morning came one of our groups got left in the open as the fog rose rapidly. Snipers got all three men, but one crawled in. Something had to be done and a volunteer, Dobson, crawled out and found 1 dead and the other severely wounded. It was a risky and Dobson recommended for the V.C"

21 October 1914
"I dashed up to the firing line opposite where Iay down - which unfortunately was in the exposed part where the 1st supporting half-platoon had laid. The firing now became general and we could see no Germans as the hedge protected them from view. - I tried to control the fire as much as possible calling out for 3 rounds distributed on first one section and then another, of the fence. Then a man four off me was hit in the face and started to groan and then a man to my right was slightly hit and tried to crawl off. I thought he was shamming and told him if he did not come back at once I would shoot him myself ...".

Sold Thursday for £2,450.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Coldstream Guards 4 years 11 months ago #63780

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Well, I think that is somewhat better than the group shown originally, whilst certainly not representative of the regiments war, in my opinion, at least, it is a very fine, yet tragic group, so typical of the period, sadly, the world had gone mad, so many men like the recipient had to pay the awful price as a direct result, I think while that plaque is only a tiny, perhaps for some, insignificant , memorial, it remains a very pleasing one and certainly as a collector, I think it would be rather difficult to ever better, the disadvantage, however, remains the absent AVM.

quote="djb" post=63777]
Pictures courtesy of Dominic Winter

QSA (2) CC SA02 (Lieut: Visct: T.U.C. Northland. Coldstream Guards.),
1914 Star (Lieut: Viscount Northland. C. Gds.),
British War Medal (Capt. Viscount Northland.)

QSA dress miniature award
Great War bronze Memorial Plaque (Thomas Uchter Caulfield Viscount Northland),

Viscount Thomas Caulfield Knox (1882-1915) was the son of Uchter John Mark Knox, 5th Earl of Ranfurly and Hon. Lord Northland was born in Dungannon, Northern Ireland and lived at Northland House, Dungannon. He was educated at Eton and then at the Military College Sandhurst. Lord Northland joined the Coldstream Guards in 1900 and served in South Africa fighting the Boers. He acted as Aide-de-Camp to his father who was the Governor of New Zealand (1897-1904). He rengaged for service with the regiment on the outbreak of WWI (Captain). He took a very active interest in the Ulster Volunteer Force and was a most enthusiastic and popular officer. He was chiefly instrumental in organising and training the 4th (Dungannon) Battalion of the Tyrone Regiment (U.V.F.) which numbered 2500 men for which Lord Northland was the commanding officer of the battalion. He was also an enthusiastic Orange man, and was elected the Deputy Grand Master of the County Tyrone Grand Orange Lodge and District Master of Killyman District Orange Lodge. Lord Northland was serving with the 2nd Battalion at Cuinchy, near La Bassee on 1 February 1915 when he was killed in action having been shot in the head by a sniper and died immediately. A memorial service was held in Dungannon with all shops and businesses being closed for the occasion. Lord Northland is buried in Cuinchy Communal Cemetery, France. (A photo of his grave included in the lot).

Extracts from his diary

28 September 1914 "When morning came one of our groups got left in the open as the fog rose rapidly. Snipers got all three men, but one crawled in. Something had to be done and a volunteer, Dobson, crawled out and found 1 dead and the other severely wounded. It was a risky and Dobson recommended for the V.C"

21 October 1914
"I dashed up to the firing line opposite where Iay down - which unfortunately was in the exposed part where the 1st supporting half-platoon had laid. The firing now became general and we could see no Germans as the hedge protected them from view. - I tried to control the fire as much as possible calling out for 3 rounds distributed on first one section and then another, of the fence. Then a man four off me was hit in the face and started to groan and then a man to my right was slightly hit and tried to crawl off. I thought he was shamming and told him if he did not come back at once I would shoot him myself ...".

Sold Thursday for £2,450.[/quote]

Medals to the Coldstream Guards 4 years 11 months ago #63803

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The absence of the VM from this poignant and, as you say all too common story from the Great War, is a great shame.

On a slight tangent, Lockdales yesterday sold a plaque named to a May Victoria Bishop. May was part of the Womens Forage Corps and is remembered on the Womens National Memorial Screen in York Minster. She was a Baling Hand, she appears to have died during the influenza pandemic. It went for a lot more than its estimate of £1,000 - £1,200.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Coldstream Guards 4 years 8 months ago #65511

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (6) Belmont, Modder River, Orange Free State, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Belfast (9443 Dnr: T. J. Staines, Cldstm: Gds) suspension claw re-pinned and very loose;
KSA (2) (9443 Dmr: T. J. Staines. Coldstream Guards.);
1914-15 Star (PS-6291 C.S.Mjr. T. J. Staines R.Fus.) gilded;
BWM & VM with MID (PS-6291 T.W.O. Cl. 1 T. J. Staines. R. Fus.);
Coronation 1911;
Army LS&GV GV (6291 C.S. Mjr: T. J. Staines. C. Gds:);
MSM GV (9443 Sjt: Dmr: T. J. Staines. C. Gds.)

MSM London Gazette 1 January 1917.
MID London Gazette 27 December 1918.

Thomas J. Staines served with the Coldstream Guards during the Second Boer War, and advanced to Sergeant Drummer. He served during the Great War with the Royal Fusiliers in the French theatre of war from 14 November 1915. Staines advanced to Regiment Sergeant Major, and served with the 26th (Service) Battalion, Royal Fusiliers (Bankers).
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.920 seconds