• Page:

TOPIC:

boer-war 11 years 11 months ago #2809

• lenbudge
  • lenbudge's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
i have two uncles who where in the boer-war,charles mace and thomas mace,they where both in the border horse,both brothers where in the same unit as i read it in the discharge book,i was wondering if i could find out anymore information on these two brothers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: boer-war 11 years 11 months ago #2816

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi lenbudge, welcome to the ABW Forum.

I can find both Charles and Thomas Mace on the Queen's South Africa Medal (QSA) roll for the Border Horse (Ref WO 100/236 pg 294) showing QSA with Cape colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal clasps. It would appear that Charles was issued his medal but Thomas's medal seems to have been returned on 4/7/06. There is a note saying Charles saw service in the 1st Imperial Light Horse (No.2765).

Thomas was later listed for a South Africa 1901 clasp on WO 100/236 pg 319 but again it is noted that this was returned. Thomas is noted as not being entitled to the KSA. Charles doesn't seem to be listed on this roll presumably because he was serving in the 1st ILH at this time.

Charles is listed on the 1st ILH roll (Ref WO 100/250 pg 120) as QSA with OFS and TVL clasps. His service in the Border Horse is noted. Then again in the 1st ILH roll (Ref WO 100/250 pg 153) as being entitled to South Africa 1901 & 1902 clasps. It notes he wasn't entitled to a KSA. His service in the Border Horse is noted.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: boer-war 11 years 11 months ago #2823

• lenbudge
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
thank you so much for your swift reply,i am at the moment researching the mace family and have found a cousin i never knew existed in south africa,she happened to mention these two brothers,i just stumbled across this site as i know nothing about the boer-war,i will foreward your findings to my cousin she also mentioned that thomas was captured at a place called de-westdorp in 1900,maybe you could shed some light on this matter also,once again thank you for this amazing information,regards

Re: boer-war 11 years 10 months ago #3406

• kwaiters
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Lenbudge,
My Great Grandfather is Charles Mace. My Grandmother is Kathleen (Kitty) Ada Woods (nee Mace). She's 95 and is the daughter of CSM Charles Mace (Border Horse Boer War 1885-1902). We have a photo of Charles in the Boer War. Thomas Mace his brother was also in the Boer War. I believe there’s another brother named John? Grandma remembers hearing that name but is losing her memories. The Mace family was originally from England.
Some background on Charles:
Charles went back to London England after the war - his wife’s name was Katherine. They had 9 children: Charles, William, John, Thomas, Mary, Bert, Ronald, Kathleen (my grandmother), & Len. All but Mary served in various wars and Len died in battle in WWII. I have pics of them all their respective families. Charles & his family eventually emigrated to Canada.
My understanding is Thomas stayed in South Africa and we have no info of him or his family or the other brother. Please connect and we can email more - unsure if this is the same Mace's you are looking for but the names sure fit. Would love to hear and fill in the blanks from your side if correct. Oddly enough I just googled Charles Mace Border Horse War yesterday for fun and found your post here :)
Cheers,
Karen
The following user(s) said Thank You: lenbudge

Re: boer-war 11 years 10 months ago #3415

• lenbudge
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
hello im sure we are off the same family,i am in touch with a mace in south africa her grandfather was thomas mace he had a brother called charles and they both went to the boer war to fight with the border horse,their are many more mace brothers and sisters mine being my grandmother maud mace she was the last born in 1888,please could you e-mail me [email protected] regards

Re: boer-war 11 years 9 months ago #3709

• lenbudge
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
hello i have been waiting for you to contact me on the last e-mail that you sent,please get in touch as i would like to exchsnge data with you its very tantalising just to wait for a reply regards lenbudge

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds