TOPIC:

QSA - authenticity ? 5 years 10 months ago #59401

• willow1899
  • willow1899's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello

Not sure if this the right place to post these decorations. I added them to my collection today.

I was slightly concerned that the Queens head on the QSA lacked definition (image 5944) on the right). I have attached another QSA for comparison, in which her head is very distinct. Everything else is fine. I do not believe the detail lacking in the head has been caused by overzealous polishing....

Any comments appreciated concerning authenticity or opinion.

Thanks, WilloW

Willow 1899
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA - authenticity ? 5 years 10 months ago #59402

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Willow
There is of course a difference in toning between the two medals. The second example exhibits wear on the high points and detail of the obverse - and there are the scratches. My take would be that the obverse of the second example has indeed been highly polished in the past. I do concede that the clasps do not appear to have been polished to the same degree. The mounting pin at 12 o'clock on the second example is not as neat as that of the first example.
If the second medal measures out correctly and the naming is correct, I would accept it.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

QSA - authenticity ? 5 years 10 months ago #59404

• RobCT
  • Thank you received: 185
Simple answer.
I am usually very careful about commenting about a medal until I have heId it in my hand! One would need to look at it closely and preferably undress the lady! (i.e. take the ribbon off.). However the jeweller/silversmiths brush marks on his one tend to tell a story. I suspect that the medal is re-constituted and has been fitted with a new suspender and bars.
RobM

QSA - authenticity ? 5 years 10 months ago #59405

• willow1899
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

RobCT wrote: Simple answer.
I am usually very careful about commenting about a medal until I have heId it in my hand! One would need to look at it closely and preferably undress the lady! (i.e. take the ribbon off.). However the jeweller/silversmiths brush marks on his one tend to tell a story. I suspect that the medal is re-constituted and has been fitted with a new suspender and bars.
RobM

Thanks for the replies.

@RobM - Can you please tell me what you mean by re-constituted ? I assume you are meaning 'put together'. I agree gauging any decoration is difficult from images.

I've attached three additional images of the medal in question.

I have full return rights so if the consensus is that this decoration is 'put together.' I will return it.

Personally, I am happy with the decoration, except the lack of detail on the actual QSA was a little worrying. Comparing the clasps and medal in your hand, the difference in patina is minimal I have checked the rolls and this person did earn the clasps attached.

Comments appreciated.

Thank you, WilloW

Willow 1899
Attachments:

QSA - authenticity ? 5 years 10 months ago #59406

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Here's your man from FMP......

First name(s) M S
Last name Young
Service number 1926
Rank Sergeant
Regiment Nesbitt's Horse
Other regiments/units Unit: Nesbitt's Horse, Rank: Sergeant, Number: 1926<br/>Unit: served with Albany District Mounted Troops, Rank: Unknown, Number: 51
Rolls WO100/262 page 264
Biography
-
Notes
QSA Clasps: P,D,J,CC
Country Great Britain

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, willow1899

QSA - authenticity ? 5 years 10 months ago #59407

• willow1899
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Mike

Thank you for confirming the details - they match those I have here. There is no doubt this fellow was who he says he was :)

If the consensus on the QSA is good, I will keep it in my collection. As stated earlier, my concern was the lack of detail on the QSA.

Kind Regards, WilloW
Willow 1899

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.224 seconds