Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

DCM TO CHARLES MCKINLEY 5 years 10 months ago #59235

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
Hello again Audrey

P.E. Abbott is the author of 'Recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1855-1909' which lists all the awards of the DCM during thse years. Some entries have more details than others.

McKinley's service papers are on Findmypast and although they mention the award of the DCM no further details are noted. However, the papers are very interesting.

He enlisted in 1887 and was invalided home from South Africa in June 1900 with debility following enteric and discharged from the army in November 1900. The medal roll confirms the award of a QSA with single clasp Defence of Ladysmith. All of this leads me to believe that his DCM was very likely for the big battalion action on Caesar's Camp 6/1/1900. The battalion fought no major actions between then and June 1900 when he was invalided home. The award of the single clasp indicates he didn't serve outside Natal while the battalion moved on into the OFS and Transvaal.

His papers also show UK service in WW1 and include a copy of his death certificate (31/7/1949).

'A rough diary of the doings of the 1st Battalion Manchester Regimentduring the South African War' by Marden & Newbigging (officers of the battalion) was published shortly after the war. Unfortunately I don't have a copy or access to one but there may be an off chance McKinley is mentioned in it.

Regards

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DCM TO CHARLES MCKINLEY 5 years 10 months ago #59236

• Aud
  • Aud's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 16
Thanks very much for that information David.
I will pass it on.
Audrey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.787 seconds