Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA clasps - issued with medal or sent at a later date ? 5 years 11 months ago #59060

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
I have seen several QSA'S especially to the 3rd South Australian Bushmen where the medal and the clasp were seperate and the clasps in a block including South Africa 1901

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA clasps - issued with medal or sent at a later date ? 5 years 11 months ago #59062

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2166
See below for an example of how a medal was posted to the recipient:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: willow1899

QSA clasps - issued with medal or sent at a later date ? 5 years 11 months ago #59063

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1884
I know that a number of Canadian Medals have loose bars on them as the bars were sent out later..... There are a couple of cases where bars were being sent as late as 1905......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

QSA clasps - issued with medal or sent at a later date ? 5 years 11 months ago #59064

• willow1899
  • willow1899's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
This is interesting and helpful.

I was going to decline on the QSA as the bars were loose but after reading this I am rethinking my purchase.

Interestingly George’s comment above hold water as this QSA is to 1 South Australia Mounted Rifles

WilloW
Willow 1899

QSA clasps - issued with medal or sent at a later date ? 5 years 11 months ago #59065

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
As I said to you earlier, simply have a look at the rolls for the recipient in WO100, taking note of the dates and any and all annotation, both medals and clasps were being issued into the reign of George V, the rolls tend not to lie.

willow1899 wrote: This is interesting and helpful.

I was going to decline on the QSA as the bars were loose but after reading this I am rethinking my purchase.

Interestingly George’s comment above hold water as this QSA is to 1 South Australia Mounted Rifles

WilloW

QSA clasps - issued with medal or sent at a later date ? 5 years 11 months ago #59067

• willow1899
  • willow1899's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello

Yes I have checked everything off that I can find. The person in question was in the 1st contingent of the South Australia Mounted Rifles. The clasps on his ribbon marry up with the battles/actions that this unit has been cited as participating in.

One further question. Is it safe to assume that if the unit was awarded a clasp (Belfast and Diamond Hill) then the man in question should also have the clasp ?

Unfortunately I have not been able toaccess his personal military records. Thanks, WilloW
Willow 1899

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.461 seconds