TOPIC:

Medals to the Scots Guards 3 years 2 weeks ago #75905

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (6) Belmont, Modder River, Orange Free State, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Belfast (7590 Sejt. T. Mc’Lauchlan, Scots Gds:)
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Scots Guards 2 years 11 months ago #76298

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The next Lockdales sale contains this lot:

Boer War casualty letters and documents relating to the death of (?) 21973 Cpl W Budd, 14th Middlesex Regt, K in A November 23rd 1899.

Picture courtesy of Lockdales

The first letter begins:

Camp at Kaffir's Kop
S. Africa
Nov 24th 1899

Miss Budd,

I cannot tell you how sorry I am to have to tell you of the death of your brother No 1425 Corpl Wm Budd, 1st Scots Guards.

He was killed in action at Kaffir's Kop yesterday, and he was brought in to camp and buried at 8pm last evening.

He was shot dead, so it is some consolation that he was spared any suffering. I, as Captain of D Company, much regret his loss, he was the most promising young NCO ....

This is 1435 L Cpl William Budd who was killed in action 23 November 1899 at Belmont
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Scots Guards 2 years 10 months ago #76720

• tcg367
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I was lucky enough to buy this. It was not well catalogued. Apart from the letter of condolence from Major Cuthbert, written the day after the battle,, there was an unsent letter to his sister found on his body, and another long letter written on SS Nubia. I also found his Service Record. Number is 1425. He was probably in service on the Goodwood Estate before joining in 1897
If my luck holds, maybe someone knows what happened to his QSA..

Medals to the Scots Guards 2 years 10 months ago #76724

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
This was found on Find My Past......

First name(s) J
Last name Budd
Service number 1425
Rank Lance-Corporal
Regiment 1 Battalion Scots Guards
Year 1899-1902
Biography -
Memorials Holy Trinity. North & south gallery. Panels. Household Cavalry & Guards, Windsor, Berkshire, England
Event detail Killed on 23/11/1899 at Belmont
Event unit 1 Battalion Scots Guards
Gazetteer [2924: 2925-2423] a village in the Cape Colony (Herbert district; Northern Cape), 35 km north-east of Hopetown, and station on the railway line northwards through De Aar and Kimberley. It is located on a farm of the same name which belonged to one Thomas Belmont was one of three defensive positions held by the Boers under Asst Cmdt-Gen P.A. Cronjé‚ on the line between the Orange River and Kimberley*. It was occupied by a commando of 300 Fauresmith burghers under Cmdt G. van der Merwe on 19 October 1899. On 10 November 1899, Lt-Col H. de la P. Gough on reconnaissance from the Orange River skirmished with this commando in the hills east of Belmont and in a short engagement two officers (Lt-Col C.E. Keith-Falconer, The Northumberland Fusiliers, and Lt C.C. Wood, The Loyal North Lancashire regiment) were immediately killed and two wounded, Gough being forced to retire. In the march to relieve Kimberley, Lt-Gen Lord Methuen's force left the northern bank of the Orange River on 20 November 1899 and two days later arrived at the Boer positions in hilly country east of Belmont station. The battle of Belmont took place in the early morning of 23 November, the British driving the Boer commandos northwards, but at the cost of 297 men killed, wounded and missing to losses by the Free State commandos of under 150. By December, Belmont was garrisoned by the Royal Canadian regiment, Munster Fusiliers and Queensland mounted infantry and 'P' battery, Royal Horse Artillery. To suppress the rebellion in Griqualand, Lt-Gen Sir C. Warren established the headquarters of his expeditionary force in Belmont on 6 May 1900. HMG I pp.216-228, 308 and 386 (map no.10), III pp.17-18 (map no.43); Times II pp.290 and 325-333 (map facing p.330), III p.110; Breytenbach I (map facing p.406), II cap.II (map facing p.36); Wilson I pp.52, 132 and 135-144.
Event source SAFF
Country Great Britain
Notes
[Anglo-Boer War Memorials Project] Corporal
Record set Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902
Category Military Service & Conflict
Subcategory Boer Wars
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, tcg367

Medals to the Scots Guards 2 years 3 months ago #80471

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (5) Cape Colony, Driefontein, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Belfast (767 Pte. A. Davidson, Scots Gds:)
[ KSA (2) ]

Andrew Davidson.

QSA verified on WO100/165p32. KSA listed on WO100/318p235.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Scots Guards 2 years 1 week ago #82731

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Spink

QSA (4) Belmont, Modder River, Paardeberg, Driefontein (2125 Pte F. Richter, Scots Gds:)

Provenance: Bosleys, 4 December 2008.

Frank Richter was born at Leeds, Yorkshire in 1880, the son of Louis Richter of 14 Middleton Avenue, Leeds. Attesting with the Scots Guards on 11 May 1898 he was posted to South Africa on 21 October 1899 for service in the Second Boer War. Taking part in some of the heaviest fighting in the Boer war as part of General Methuen's attempt to relieve Kimberly Richter's Battalion managed to force passage over the Modder River but where halted at the Battle of Magersfontein. Richter was in on the action for the successful battle of Paardeberg and finally Driefontein. Returning to Britain on 10 September 1900 he was presented his Queen's South Africa Medal by King Edward VII on 12 June 1901. Later returning to South Africa on 15 April 1902 and remaining for some months he returned to Britain again on 21 July 1902, transferring to the Army Reserve the next day. Unable to find work he went to sea and later emigrated to Canada, writing a letter to the war office to ask for his reservists pay Richter would have been disappointed to learn that as he had not reported for duty, he was not eligible for payment. Richter's name also appears on a list stating that one of his clasps had been returned to the War Office with clasps for South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902 appearing on the medal roll.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.876 seconds