TOPIC:

Medals to the Welsh Regiment 2 years 6 months ago #78776

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519

Picture courtesy of Lockdales

QSA (2) Relief of Kimberley Paardeberg (2757 Pte G H Rowlan, Welsh Regt).

Died 27th April 1900, Bloemfontein.

Sold for a hammer price of £150.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Welsh Regiment 2 years 5 months ago #79517

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (6) Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, Driefontein, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Belfast (5364 Pte. J. Smith, Welsh Regt.)
[ KSA (2) ]

QSA verified on WO100/190p71
KSA listed on WO100/334p63
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Welsh Regiment 2 years 5 months ago #79648

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Morton and Eden

QSA(6) Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, Driefontein, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Belfast (3294 Sergt G. Smith, Welsh Regt);
KSA (2) (3294 Sergt: G. Smith. Welsh Regt).

M&E say 'Pair loose, each medal officially impressed but with rank ‘Sergt’ engraved, presumably to reflect a later promotion'
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Welsh Regiment 2 years 3 months ago #80825

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 762
1241 PRIVATE EDWARD JONES: 2ST BATTALION THE WELSH REGIMENT

QUEENS SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL
CLASPS: CAPE COLONY/ORANGE FREE STATE

CONDITION: NEF. ATTRACTIVE DARK TONING. ORIGINAL RIBBON.

Edward Jones was born in Neath, South Wales in 1867, the son of Richard Jones (Chief Constable for Neath) and Mary.
Edward was also the caretaker of Neath County School.at some point before his service in the army.

He arrived in South Africa with the 1st Battalion and gained the QSA with clasps as detailed above.
However, Edward's campaign was to prove to be a short one. Unfortunately, he died of disease at number 9 General Hospital at Bloemfontein on 16th May 1900.
His memory is honoured on numerous memorials as follows:
-momument 1 at President Avenue, Bloemfontein where he is interred.
-1st Battalion Welsh Regiment monument at Driefontein.
,-Welsh National Boer War Memorial, Cathays Park, Cardiff.
-Memorial tablet, Llandaff Cathedral, Llandaff, Cardiff.
-on the gravestone of his father at Llantwit Cemetery, Neath. "ALSO EDWARD JONES 1241 OF THE WELSH REGIMENT SON OF THE ABOVE WHO DIED AT NO. 9 GENERAL HOSPITAL BLOEMFONTEIN SOUTH AFRICA MAY 15 1900 AGED 32 YEARS"
Also on his father's headstone are his brothers Arthur 4 1/2 years old, Thomas Jones, Architect 33 years old.
Death for sons before their time was certainly a tragedy for the Jones family.

All of the information contained in this post is derived from paperwork that accompanied Edward's QSA when I purchased it some time ago.

To add poignancy to the story, I have two newspaper reports concerning Edward. One giving notice of his death and another which was his final correspondence from South Africa apparently published after his death notice.

"WELSH CASUALTIES

TWO MORE DEATHS

Two further deaths are reported among the men of the Welsh Regiment. One is that of 5543 Pte. A. Burgess of the 1st Welsh Regiment, a militia reservist, who died from enteric fever at Cape Town on May 16th. The attestation paper of the deceased being with his regiment in South Africa, his address cannot be given until his friends communicate with Major Lucas at the barracks.
1241 Private Edward Jones 1st Welsh Regiment, is a native of Cadoxton, near Neath, and leaves a widow and one child, living at the County School, Neath. He enlisted at Swansea on July 24th 1885, being then 18,years of age. He was transferred to Section D reserve in July 1897, and was described in his papers as a man of exemplary character."

The newspaper article featuring the last correspondence from Edward to his family:

"LETTER FROM A NEATH MAN AT THE FRONT

TOBACCO LIKE GOLD DUST

Private Edward Jones, son of Police Sergt. Jones of the Neath Borough Police, and the caretaker of the Neath County School, who is one of the Reservists of the Welsh Regiment, writes from Springfield Camp, near Bloemfontein, to his parents at Neath. After expressing his delight at having received letters and newspapers from home, he proceeds"We are now in General Pole-Carews Division. He addressed the Regiment on parade yesterday, and said he was proud to have the 41st regiment under him, as he knew of their gallant work at Rietfontein, Modder River and elsewhere, while the regiment was with General Kelly- Kenny. He told us to be ready for the road, as he expected to get into action again within a few days. This is a grand country; great plains but plenty of plains which run into each other in a queer way. It is a difficult country to act on the offensive in, but very easy to defend, owing to the character of the country. I can hardly believe that this is my old Regiment. I know very few of them. Traces of their hard work are on their clothes and their kit . They had to get new trousers here . We are about 850 strong. Rees of the'Falcons' son was inquiring for me at Norvals Pont, but I did not see him. There is a great deal of soldiers here of all branches, more than I ever saw before. We are out in the open. No tents: one blanket and waterproof sheet. As it rains so heavily folks at home may guess what we have to put up with on outpost duty. Patrols day and night. Hard work in camp too, cutting down trees for firewood, and carrying water, and doing much besides. People at home make a great mistake if they think we are having high times out here. It is difficult to get paper to write on.i bought alot at Cape Town, but the rain destroyed it all. Good news has just come in that some kind soul at home has sent each of us an ounce of tobacco. It is a grand smoke. It is very hard to get tobacco out here. I cannot spend any money out here; cannot even buy a match. There are alot of Neath boys here. The next battle will probably be a big one ,and very likely the last, as the Boers say they do not want Pretoria smashed up. If I get into action, I think i shall give a good account of myself, as my shooting is as good as ever . It is very trying to write out here on the veldt, amongst swarms of flies,ants and other insects, all contending for the plump Welshman of the regiment. All three insects are going strong. My kind regards to the Reverend Ebenezer Jones, the police and all my friends. Will you kindly send me a bit of tobacco in a tin? Tobacco is like gold dust here. I have not had my clothes off since I left the ship. I have 160 rounds of ammunition to carry, and in addition to this, I now have a fine beard to carry as well."
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Dave F

Medals to the Welsh Regiment 2 years 3 months ago #80828

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 762
5546 PRIVATE BENJAMIN JEREMIAH: 1ST VOLUNTEER BATTALION THE WELSH REGIMENT

QUEENS SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL
CLASPS: RELIEF OF KIMBERLEY/PAARDEBERG/DRIEFONTEIN/JOHANNESBURG/DIAMOND HILL/BELFAST (ENTITLED TO SOUTH AFRICA 1901).

CONDITION: NEF. PLEASANT DARK PATINA. ORIGINAL RIBBON.

As a collector my interest and eyes are always drawn to QSAs with 6 or more clasps, particularly when as in this example the clasps are all representative of battles rather than the state clasps. Six battle clasp medals are typical of the Coldstream, Grenadier and Scots Guards. But medals to the Welsh Regiment are commonly found thus, though I notice prices realised on the increase at the time of writing.

Benjamin Jeremiah was born in 1877/8 in Cardigan, Wales. He is recorded in the 1881 Census as living at 19 Upper Mwfdan, Cardigan. His father John Jeremiah was a General Labourer aged 61, and his mother Eliza was 19 years junior of her husband at 42. Benjamin has a sister aged 3 years old.

His military service began on 3rd March 1898 when he attested to the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the Welsh Regiment.
On enlistment he is described as being'age ' physically 21 years' ,5' 5 2/8" tall, 121lbs in weight and with chest measurements of 33" minimum and 34 1/2" maximum. He was of a fresh complexion, blue eyed and had brown hair.
His religion was Church of England and his next of kin was his mother now named Elizabeth Griffith following the death of John and remarrying. She resided at Foundry Terrace still in Cardigan.

The 1st Battalion sailed for Cape arriving on 22nd November 1899. While on board ship, Benjamin was seen by the Medical Officer on the 11th November and it was reported on his service history that he was suffering from an ailment common amongst the soldiery. His mild contagion of gonnorhea was treated with a course of injections and he was allowed to rejoin the unit on 25th November 1899.

Benjamin was a veteran of the historical action at Paardeberg and was present at the relief of Kimberley.
If only he had kept a diary and we had it to hand today! What a story that would be!
At some point during the campaign in South Africa, Benjamin was promoted Lance Corporal as shown on the medal rolls for the 1st Welsh.
The medal rolls also show that he was not entitled to the KSA medal, but was eligible for the award of clasp South Africa 1901 in addition to the other six clasps.
Benjamin probably never received the 7th clasp as he sadly died at a very young age of 24 back home in Cardigan. His death is recorded on the Deaths Register for the period October/November and December 1902.
This would account for the condition of the medal as it may hardly ever have been worn.
But no doubt, it was a relic that his mother would have cherished till her dying day.

MILITARY SERVICE HISTORY
HOME---23/03/1898 TO 03/11/1899--231 DAYS
S. AFRICA--04/11/1899 TO 22/09/1901--323 FAYS
HOME--23/01901 TO 23/02/1902--158 DAYS
A TOTAL OF 712 DAYS.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

From the "South Wales Daily News," dated,Tuesday, October 21, 1902:

"A Welsh Soldier's Death."
"After a lingering illness, at the residence of his mother, at Lower Mwldau, Cardigan, Mr. Benjamin Jeremiah, a tailor by trade, aged 24 years, died on the 15th inst. , and his remains were interred Blaenywdun burying ground with military honours on Monday. Deceased for four years served with the Welsh Regiment in the South African War ; he took part in the capture of Cronje at Paardeberg and Driefontein. About a year ago deceased was invalided home after an attack of enteric fever, and subsequently left the Army, having attained the rank of lance-corporal."
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the Welsh Regiment 1 year 9 months ago #84576

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (5) Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 (7586 Pte T. L. Vaughan. Vol. Coy Welsh Regt);
1914-15 Star (14542 C.Q.M.Sjt. T. L. Vaughan. S. Wales Bord.);
British War and Victory Medals (2. Lieut T. L. Vaughan.)

Thomas Lewis Vaughan served during the Boer War with the 2nd Volunteer Battalion of the Welsh Regiment, attached to the English Composite Cyclist’s Company.

During the Great War he served on the Western Front from 25 September 1915, as a Company Quarter Master Sergeant with the 6th Battalion, South Wales Borderers before receiving a commission into the 1st Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment on 26 September 1917. He then saw further service with the Welsh Regiment.

His Great War medals were sent to him at Upper Skewen Post Office, Neath, Glamorgan.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.686 seconds