TOPIC:

Medals to the Oxford Light Infantry 2 years 5 months ago #79513

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (3) Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Johannesburg (5516, Pte. J. A. Salmon, 1/Oxfd. L.I.) engraved naming;
KSA (2) (5516 Pte. J. A. Salmon. Oxford: L.I.);
BWM and VM (L-46666 Dvr. J. A. Salmon. R.A.)

Joseph Albert Salmon was born about 1878, and having attested for the Oxford Light Infantry served with the 1st Battalion in South Africa during the Boer War.

He re-enlisted for service in the Great War on 13 October 1915, at Shepherds Bush, London, to serve in the Royal Field Artillery, serving in 4th and 33rd Divisional Ammunition Columns.

He was discharged due to sickness on 24 October 1918, and was awarded Silver War Badge No. B23649.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Oxford Light Infantry 2 years 2 months ago #81473

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The next DNW auction contains another good range of medals to the OLI.

www.dnw.co.uk/auctions/catalogue/results.php?auction_id=617
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Oxford Light Infantry 2 years 2 months ago #81608

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (4) Cape Colony, Orange Free State, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 date clasp block loose on riband, as issued (Lieut. R. S. G. Higgins, 3/Oxf. L.I.) engraved naming, unit officially corrected;
Ceylon Volunteer Service Medal 1914-18 (R. S. G. Higgins) edge bruise to first and suspension claw re-pinned,

Robert Seton Graeme Higgins was born in 1882 at Eton, Buckinghamshire, and was commissioned Second Lieutenant in the 3rd (Militia) Battalion, Oxfordshire Light Infantry, on 25 December 1899. He was promoted Lieutenant in October 1900 and served with the Battalion in South Africa during the Boer War, before resigning his commission in May 1903.

He emigrated to Ceylon on or before 1907, in which year he is recorded as having joined a Masonic Lodge at Kandy. From 1912 to 1930 he is recorded as the owner and manager of the Ellagalla Tea Plantation, Galaha, Hantane, Ceylon. He returned to the U.K. after the outbreak of the Great War and was commissioned into the Worcestershire Regiment on 10 December 1917, serving in 1st Reserve Garrison Battalion. He relinquished his commission on 17 December 1920. He saw no active service overseas and was not awarded any medals for his service in the Great War. He died on 20 January 1941 and is buried at Weybridge Cemetery, Elmbridge, Surrey.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Oxford Light Infantry 2 years 2 months ago #81688

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

IGS 1895 (1) Punjab Frontier 1897-98 (4284 Pte. J. Sherman 2nd. Bn. Oxf. Lt. Infy.);
QSA (4) Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, Driefontein, South Africa 1901, unofficial rivets between third and fourth clasps (4284, Pte. W. J. Sherman, 1/Oxfd. L.I.) engraved naming

W. J. Sherman attested for the Oxfordshire Light Infantry and served with the 1st Battalion in the Mohmand Campaign on the North West Frontier of India, and is recorded on the medal roll as having been invalided.

He subsequently served in South Africa during the Boer War, and died of disease at Kroonstad on 30 March 1901.

He is commemorated on the Oxfordshire Light Infantry Boer War Memorial in Abingdon.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Oxford Light Infantry 2 years 1 month ago #82321

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (2) Cape Colony, Orange Free State (195 Pte. F. Woodley. Oxford: Lt.I.);
KSA (2) (195 Pte. F. Woodley. Oxford: L.I.);
Militia LS&GC Ed VII (195 Serjt. F. Woodley. 3rd Oxford L.I. Mil.)

Approximately 13 Militia Long Service and Good Conduct Medals awarded to the 3rd Battalion, Oxfordshire Light Infantry.

Frederick Woodley, a native of Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, enlisted there into the 3rd (Militia) Battalion, Oxfordshire Light Infantry on 23 February 1882, and re-engaged on 19 May 1887. He was promoted Corporal on 27 April 1891, and Sergeant on on 3 March 1895, and was embodied for service in the Boer War on 21 September 1900, returning to the U.K. on 2 April 1902. He was awarded his Militia Long Service and Good Conduct Medal in February 1905, and was finally discharged on termination of his final engagement at High Wycombe on 19 February 1908.

Sold for a hammer price of £650. Totals (inc VAT for UK only): £837. R15,700. Au$1,420. Can$1,340. US$1,060
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Oxford Light Infantry 2 years 3 weeks ago #82533

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (3) Cape Colony, Orange Free State, South Africa 1901, unofficial rivets between state and date clasps (5087. Pte. R. A. Holmes. 1/Oxfd. L.I.) engraved naming.

Together with a silver presentation cross, the obverse showing a native African warrior at centre, ‘PGC’ on arms of cross, the reverse engraved ‘Presented to P.G.C. R. A. Holmes. January 1913.’
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.734 seconds