Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fick of the Somerset East Town Guard and District Mounted Troop 6 years 6 months ago #56094

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Thanks Rory, I will update Botha's first name.

I had a look in The Times for anymore details and names but there is none. Given the circumstances I suspect the Army wanted to forget this episode quickly and not leave any mark of it. I suspect also these men were POW for as long as it took the Boers to remove or destroy arms, ammunition, clothing, boots, horses etc. They were probably home in time for tea.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fick of the Somerset East Town Guard and District Mounted Troop 6 years 5 months ago #56207

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Picked this up off Facebook , Somerset West didn't have a good war either:

"from Peggy Heap's book 'The Story of Hottentots Holland' (1970):
'One day alarming news spread through the village like wildfire - a Boer column was approaching down Sir Lowry's Pass! Houses were hastily shuttered, locked and bolted, the streets cleared, the Town Guard was called out and mustered in front of the Court House. Commands were barked, the guards stood rigidly to attention. But the excitement was too much for someone. A trigger was pressed accidentally and the guard scattered as a shot rang out. Surprisingly, no one fell to the ground writhing in agony, and the only damage done was a bullet hole - a scar which remained for many years - under the arch of the Court House entrance. Order was restored, and everything possible was done to prepare for the defence of Somerset West. A deep and slightly shame-faced calm fell on the citizenry when it was discovered that the approaching enemy column was nothing more war-like than a herd of oxen (!) Mrs. Hewat, the Doctor's wife, who had been in Cape Town for the day and unaware of the rumour, returned home to find that her servants had hidden her silver, china and glass!'
Now, that is the sum total of Somerset West's involvement in the ABW! Except to mention that a Mrs. Morkel, during the ABW, prevented her carriage horses - to whom she was devoted - from being commandeered by the British Military, by deliberately laming them."
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Fick of the Somerset East Town Guard and District Mounted Troop 6 years 5 months ago #56209

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Meurig
I enjoy reading such light-hearted anecdotes of the ABW. Thank you for posting this one. Amongst my many books now dispersed was one comprising anecdotes. I dipped into it from time to time and enjoyed it. I cannot remember its name, author and publishing details, but perhaps someone else knows it.
Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds