Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Captain Slater of the Albany D.M.T. 6 years 6 months ago #56046

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Marmaduke, certainly remains very prominent, indeed, on my own bookshelf, Brett.

Brett Hendey wrote: Rory

Thank you for another interesting post. The diary gives a fascinating account of British Kaffraria and the Transkei as they were after the end of the last of the Frontier Wars. The Colonials mentioned represented the resolute Eastern Cape settlers of the 19th Century who did so much for the development of the region. One of the names I noticed was Pattle of Butterworth. One of their descendants who was born in Butterworth was Squadron Leader Pat Pattle. He was the RAF's top-scoring fighter ace of World War II, although he is seldom acknowledged as such.
samilitaryhistory.org/vol013dt.html

Just as Squadron Leader Pattle is often left out of history books, so too are the positive effects of the Colonial era in the Eastern Cape. Time marches on and the past has new recorders!

Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Captain Slater of the Albany D.M.T. 6 years 6 months ago #56048

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
I was pleased to read that, Frank. I do not know if the Pattle family is still represented in Butterworth, but I doubt that there is anyone else there who knows or cares about Squadron Leader Pat. It is all very sad.
Regards
Brett

Captain Slater of the Albany D.M.T. 9 months 1 week ago #90740

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2149
It always amazes me how, quite unexpectedly, new information about a recipient crops up. I was going through an obscure publication on prominent settlers in the Eastern cape when I saw this:

The John Edward referred to is my medal recipient.

Regards

Rory
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.200 seconds