Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

11th Hussars mystery 4 years 5 months ago #66971

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Amended to add photos.....

Mike

Hi David and David.......

Here is mine, according to FMP he was attached to 2nd Remount Depot.......

2971 Private AINSWORTH, W. (William)
Is impressed: 11th Hussars
Bars: Cape Colony, Orange Free State

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11th Hussars mystery 4 years 5 months ago #66986

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451

These example suggest there must have been a list of units and names that transcended the medal rolls we see and that guided those naming the medals to deviate from the rolls. An earlier post in this thread provides one example of this information.

Most definitely David. The rolls we look at were a working copy kept in the "medal office" and annotated through to WWII judging by the remarks added in. There must have been a separate copy sent to the Mint for making medals up.

Kevin Asplin's QSA cavalry roll only covers the medal rolls named to cavalry regiments. It does not cover the Remount rolls - which are a pain to work through - but in here lie very many QSAs named to cavalry regiments; as Mike has shown in his post above.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

11th Hussars mystery 4 years 5 months ago #66989

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think that even if I were a regimental collector, to be quite honest, I rather doubt if I'd go the extra mile to buy one, if the majority were simply reservists who had at one time served as wretched cherry pickers.

11th Hussars mystery 2 years 5 months ago #79460

• Dave F
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1175
First of all I would like to apologise to Frank for purchasing a wretched Cherry Pickers medal group. But this chap is definitely one of the 114 mentioned in this 11th Hussar Mystery post.

Arthur Edward Eltringham 11th Hussars.

Arthur was born on the 28th August 1880 in the parish of Hounslow Middlesex. His father William Wood Eltringham was a soldier serving at Hounslow barracks, when he died suddenly on 13th October 1881 aged 32. His son Arthur was only a few months old. Arthur’s mother Georgina (Nee Whittle) married a gunner in the Royal Artillery by the name of James Blevens. The 1891 census has Arthur living with his stepfather and mother at 15 Charles Street in the parish of Woolwich along with his brother Herbert, stepsister Catherine and Mary Blevens, mother of James.

5325 Private Arthur Eltringham joined the 3rd East Kent Militia on the 28th June 1898. He swiftly moved onto the 8th Hussars on the 22nd September 1898 then to the 11th Hussars as 4208 Private Eltringham. He was 5ft 7 inches tall with blue eyes, auburn hair. Distinguished features recorded an anchor tattoo on left forearm. His trade was a labourer working at the Royal Arsenal Woolwich. Religious denomination C of E.

His time in South Africa lasted 300 days. His medal roll dated 15th June 1901 states Pte Eltringham was a servant to Lieutenant- Colonel Lord E. Talbot. I have attempted to decipher the note in the medal remark’s column…...Please feel free to correct if I have got this wrong.
“This man was left behind at Modder River, consequently loses his clasp for Kimberley etc. But he got clasps for C/C, OFS for presence at actions in both for which no clasps are given”

QSA medal awarded to 4208 Private Eltringham has 4 clasps- Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Johannesburg and Diamond Hill.

A brief note on Lieutenant – Colonel E Talbot.

Edmund Talbot was born on 1 June 1855, the second son of the 14th Duke of Norfolk, he joined the 11th Hussars as a lieutenant from the Militia on 20 Nov 1875. He was appointed adjutant of the 11th Hussars on 24 Aug 1881 and promoted to captain on 19 Sep 1881. In 1883 he was seconded to the Middlesex Yeomanry to be their adjutant for the next five years. He returned to the 11th Hussars in 1888 and was promoted to major on 19 Nov 1891. In 1894 he was elected MP for Chichester and remained in Parliament until 1921. When war broke out in South Africa, he was involved in operations leading to the Relief of Kimberley, and was at Paardeberg. He was also at Poplar Grove, Driefontein, Johannesburg, Pretoria, Diamond Hill and Colesberg. He was awarded the DSO (Gazetted 19 April 1901) and mentioned in Despatches. On 17 June 1900 he was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel.

After his time in South Africa, Private Eltringham served with the Hussars for two and a half years in Egypt until 1903. Arthur progressed through the ranks and the 1911 census records him at Lydd Camp Kent aged 30 serving as a Sergeant. He also married Florrie Rose Thomas in 1910.
During WW1 he was a Lt - QMS and served very briefly in Egypt, September 1918, attached to the Machine Gun Corps. Enough time to gain his British War & Victory medal.

His papers say he was discharged on the 5th September 1918. His commission to Lieutenant -QMS was believed to be temporary. He served in the Hussars for over 23 years and finished his time with the 3rd Cavalry reserve. His long service, good conduct medal has regimental number 7689. QM – Sergeant 11th Hussars. His WW1 medals QM & Lieu, no regiment recorded. His QSA Pte 4208 11th Hussars.

Arthur and his wife Florrie lived in Surrey for most of their life, he was employed as a clerk working within the Civil Service. Between 1920 and 1930 they lived at Rowhill Cottages, Heath End, Farnham, Surrey. They then moved during the 30s to another Heath End location, residing in Bradwich Villas. The family then moved to Somerset during the 1940s and lived at Hams Lane Babcary Somerset. It is possible Arthur moved closer to relatives as Arthur’s mother Georgina was born in Yeovil South Somerset. A E Eltringham passed away on the 26th September 1945 aged 65. His effects and estate were left to his wife Florrie.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.733 seconds