Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Medals to the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

Medals to the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 1 year 10 months ago #55540

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 778

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Mike,
Well, he was certainly not entitled and could not have actually earned that particular clasp, given his service, I would think the medal has been messed around with at some point, with the intention to deceive, I hope you did not pay too much for it.
Regards Frank.

Thanks Frank..... No not much and I can use the bar...... Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 1 year 10 months ago #55541

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 777
Hello Mike,
Okay, well, in that case, on the plus side, it is a very easy task to restore and certainly not an expensive one either, I would not be unhappy and it is not as though you have the annoying KSA to try and find, a typical Thomas Atkins serving in a very good regiment.
Regards again, Frank

Medals to the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 3 months 1 week ago #63152

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1429
From the next Spink sale

Picture courtesy of Spink

QSA (4) CC OFS SA01 SA02 (Capt & Adjt. R. L. Stable. L.N. Lanc. Rgt.)

Russell Loscombe Stable was born on 23 February 1866, the son of Robert Scott Stable. He initially served with the 3rd Battalion, Essex Regiment, before being posted Lieutenant in the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment on 27 April 1886. Promoted Adjutant on 6 July 1897, he was mentioned in the final despatch of General Kitchener for services in South Africa (London Gazette 31 October 1902, refers). In 1911, he retired to Fulwood, Preston, Lancashire. His son, 2nd Lieutenant Russell Colin Stable died on 9 October 1917, whilst serving with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 3 months 1 week ago #63153

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1429

Picture courtesy of Spink

QSA (5) Belm MR Paar Drie Tr (4653 Pte. R. Hughes. 1st. L. N. Lanc. Regt. M.I.);
KSA (2) (4653 Pte. R. Hughes. L. N. Lanc: Regt.).

Richard Benbow Hughes was born at Liverpool and attested for the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment on 15 October 1894 after previous service with the 3rd Loyal North Lancashire Militia. He was posted to the 2nd Battalion on 24 November 1894, but on 2 January 1897 deserted. He rejoined to Civil Authorities twenty-four days later and was placed in the Guard Room on 1 February - tried by District Court Martial he was sentenced to 84 days imprisonment with hard labour. On 13 December 1897 he was posted to the 1st Battalion.

Having served in Ceylon and then nearly 4 years in South Africa, during the Boer War he served in the Mounted Infantry and was taken prisoner at Sanna's Post. Later released, he was wounded at Belfast on 6 December 1900 and was eventually discharged on 4 February 1904.

10 other ranks of the 1st Battalion were taken prisoner during the encounter.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb