Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private Herbert Kelly, 2nd Devonshire Regiment 6 years 8 months ago #55096

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank

I am pleased that you like Kelly's medal group. I had hoped to find out more about his life in South Africa, but 'low-key' men like him leave little trace of their lives - except perhaps for Rory, who has ways and means of finding records of obscure people, as well as the rich and famous.

On the subject of the surname Kelley/Kelly ......... Until Mike brought it up I had not given it any thought. I have since checked my collection and found that I have the medals another two Kelly's from Natal, both of them without the 'e'.

There is a QSA (TH, RoL) to a Trooper F B Kelly, Bethune's Mounted Infantry, who is notable for having deserted in 1899, taking with him a revolver, which was confiscated by the Transvaal authorities in Volksrust. Its return was demanded by the Colonial Secretary in Maritzburg. It was. It is amazing how the bureaucratic mind can fixate on trivia at a time when bullets were flying and blood was being shed not far from Maritzburg. F B Kelly is "worthy of further research", which would hopefully reveal how a deserter came to be issued with a QSA.

The other Kelly was Lance Corporal W H Kelly, Royal Durban Light Infantry, who was killed in action at Tobruk on 20 June 1942. His widow claimed his medals (39/45 Star, Africa Star, War Medal, Africa Service Medal).

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private Herbert Kelly, 2nd Devonshire Regiment 6 years 8 months ago #55097

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Brett.....

The reason that I asked the question is because in the title of the photo and in your first paragraph you spell the name Kelley......

Quote:

Private Herbert Kelley, 2nd Devonshire Regiment
(Later Sapper, South African Engineer Corps)

Herbert Kelley was a labourer born in the Parish of St Sidwells, Exeter, in about 1870. His father was Richard Kelly, 4 Strong’s Cottage, St Sidwells, where he lived with his wife and another son named John.

End Quote

I have a medal to a Canadian in the RCR's who spelt his name on his documents Kelley but on his medal is Kelly...... I also have another group to a Kelly consisting of an QSA/KSA/1914 Trio which has Kelly on 4 of the 5 and Kely on one, true he also served in 5 different units during BW/WW1......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Private Herbert Kelly, 2nd Devonshire Regiment 6 years 8 months ago #55099

• Brett Hendey
Many thanks for pointing out my errors, Mike. My proof-reading leaves much to be desired nowadays. I have wanted to employ a secretary, but my wife refuses to give me permission to do so. It is a hard life!

When you pointed out the differences in spelling of the surname, I wondered if it may be significant in revealing the origins of the particular family (e.g. Are there perhaps Irish and English Kell(e)ys? I thought our own Frank might know.)

Regards
Brett

PS Super-researcher Rory has very kindly sent me copies of papers revealing more about Herbert Kelly's early life. For example, he really was born Herbert Henry, and did not fabricate the second forename after his arrival in Natal.

Private Herbert Kelly, 2nd Devonshire Regiment 6 years 8 months ago #55146

• Brett Hendey
Thanks to input from Mike and Rory, I have corrected errors and added information to my original account of Herbert Kelly. The alterations now appear in the corrected version at the beginning of this thread.

A helpful membership makes this a most rewarding forum!

Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.918 seconds